🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Low quality and mostly fake talent on Upwork
Page options
30e04bca
Community Member

Low quality and mostly fake talent on Upwork

Is it just me or most of the talent on Upwork are advertising samples of their work that do not reflect what they deliver? I reached out to some concept artists and opened contracts with them and they have the audacity to ask for top pay only to deliver something that has nothing to do with the quality of thei sample work. It really frustrates me to the point that I want to just cancel this whole account. As if I'm hiring a nurse to do an open-heart surgery

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Is it just me or most of the talent on Upwork are advertising samples of their work that do not reflect what they deliver?"

Most?

What you said is definitely true for many job niche/pay level combinations on Upwork.

It is completely untrue for other job niche/pay level combinations on Upwork.

It is impossible to make a blanket statement like that for the entire body of freelancers on the platform.

I have personally hired over 140 freelancers on Upwork. Most of these have been artists.

I know that there is a statistically predictable failure rate for all job niche/pay level combinations. I am able to adjust my hiring accordingly.

As for the question about "fake talent"... or fake portfolios, etc. I know that this is a problem primarily from reading about it in the Forum. I don't deal with it personally because when I hire artists, I primarily do so based on their portfolio, and I don't hire fake portfolio artists.

If you are hiring concept artists specifically, I can't offer any advice about that because that is not one of the types of art I have hired for on Upwork.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

I'm not sure about "most" but certainly there are large numbers of freelancers with portfolios full of blatantly stolen work, particularly in the logo category. I would recommend vetting designers by messaging them to say that you like a certain piece in their portfolio and then ask them to explain the thought process behind it; the phonies will be flummoxed by this question.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths