🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Magical Proposal to get clients Attention
Page options
jayzee25
Community Member

Magical Proposal to get clients Attention

Dear community members, 

I am new to upwork and have been continuous submitting proposals from 2 months. I have gone through all the links upwork suggested to get my first Client and also webinars ah ! worked alot. 

Long story Short: now I need help of some successfull freelancers here to give me Magic beans for getting up to the castle of giant clients Smiley Wink 

I have 5 years of experience and working as a Senior Software developer in large organization and here I wanted to excel as reliable freelancer. 

Looking forward to some fruitfull tips guys. 

Warmly, 

Jayzee.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
resultsassoc
Community Member

I am a client and a provider on Upwork and another board. Raise your rate. Most of my hiring is invitation-only (have done little hiring on Upwork lately, a bunch elsewhere). I review profiles. I have never rejected a provider for being too expensive; I have rejected many for being too inexpensive. If you don't think you're worth very much, who am I to argue? Recently I hired a web designer, and paid her 20% more than her bid price because she was undervaluing herself.

UI or document you need related” or a document/or documents/or documentation.

“Full grip on” Full grasp of

Begin your proposal with questions about the client. Everybody likes to talk about himself. You demonstrate interest in him as much as his money. And, questions invite answers, which puts you in a dialog. The work you want is won in a dialog, not with a proposal.

Research the client. There are many clues in her prior jobs. If you know nothing about the client's industry (e.g., bowling ball repair), spend five minutes researching it. Do not try to win on price; clients who buy on price are not worth your effort. Describe what you will do and how. Near the end, give a brief summary of yourself, accomplishments and skills. Too many tech-types include long lists of their technical capabilities. The only important ones are (a) What the job requires, and (b) What you think the most likely follow-on work will require.

Good luck.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
husainaa
Community Member

I took a quick look at your profile and noticed that your hourly rate is $8, isn't that rate very low for a senior software engineer?

Hi Husain, 

Yes, I was a little bit inclined towards building portfolio first but now with help of Bill and your response I am going to change the rate based on my actual Skill level. 

Thanks alot for the help. You guys are great. Smiley Happy

resultsassoc
Community Member

I am a client and a provider on Upwork and another board. Raise your rate. Most of my hiring is invitation-only (have done little hiring on Upwork lately, a bunch elsewhere). I review profiles. I have never rejected a provider for being too expensive; I have rejected many for being too inexpensive. If you don't think you're worth very much, who am I to argue? Recently I hired a web designer, and paid her 20% more than her bid price because she was undervaluing herself.

UI or document you need related” or a document/or documents/or documentation.

“Full grip on” Full grasp of

Begin your proposal with questions about the client. Everybody likes to talk about himself. You demonstrate interest in him as much as his money. And, questions invite answers, which puts you in a dialog. The work you want is won in a dialog, not with a proposal.

Research the client. There are many clues in her prior jobs. If you know nothing about the client's industry (e.g., bowling ball repair), spend five minutes researching it. Do not try to win on price; clients who buy on price are not worth your effort. Describe what you will do and how. Near the end, give a brief summary of yourself, accomplishments and skills. Too many tech-types include long lists of their technical capabilities. The only important ones are (a) What the job requires, and (b) What you think the most likely follow-on work will require.

Good luck.

Hi Bill

I have read your comment and really impress. Can you please review my profile and give me good tips.

Tell me what I am missing.

this is the profile link.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Thanks

@Huzaifa Z wrote:

Tell me what I am missing.

You're missing this:

JSS.jpg

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Your profile is designed to appeal to other technical types. In most businesses, technical types don't own checkbooks, business types do. And, you are a competitor to the technical guy/girl. He/she wants to keep the job, and will not champion you to the people with the real money.

Your list of computer languages is absolutely meaningless to me. I understand systems; I don't write code. If I want somebody to create a capability for one of my websites, I'd post a job saying "I want somebody to create the ability for me to be alerted to new e-books about management topics." I don't care if you're programing in Fortran, or Pascal, or Druid Incantations. I just want the thing to work with little effort on my part.

You are selling low-end programming, which is a commodity. You should be selling business solutions. What kind of thing can you do that will help a business? Describe that, without saying "I .asp to the .net and C++ to the VB6 while you Ramalamadingdong."

Try: "Tell me what you want done to help your business, and how it will help. I'll get it done right, quickly, and at a fair price." Stop writing code and start solving business problems.

Dear Bill, 

I am really impressed with the way you have explained loopholes in my profile. Your help means much to me and surely I am going to work on every single point you have invested time in advicing me. 

Please accept my gratitude and it feel wonderful meeting a guy like you Bill. 

Thanks . Smiley Happy

Not trying to resurrect an ancient thread, I was alerted to people reacting.

MJ, you're welcome, but there is no need to thank me. If you get better, I might want to use your services later. Even if I never need your services, if you get a great reputation, then every provider on Upwork benefits.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths