🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Making an upfront payment
Page options
dce84fcc
Community Member

Making an upfront payment

Hi, 

If a freelancer wants to split the job in say 3 payments with one being upfront (but I am happy to accept the risk on the upfront) can the other two payments still go through escrow?

Thanks.

P

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Yes.

Techically all three payments will go through escrow. But the first payment will be in escrow only momentarily.

The actual mechanics of setting up and releasing the milestone escrow payments is identical, regardless of whether or not a payment is an upfront payment or not.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
prestonhunter
Community Member

Yes.

Techically all three payments will go through escrow. But the first payment will be in escrow only momentarily.

The actual mechanics of setting up and releasing the milestone escrow payments is identical, regardless of whether or not a payment is an upfront payment or not.

Pro-tip for other people reading this thread:

Although Upwork does not encourage clients to release upfront payments, it is not against the rules to do so.

Just make sure that you understand that you will not get the upfront payment back, even if the freelancer does no work.

Hi, I've been trying to make payment for a project but failed. The option to hire and pay isn't highlighting 

Hi Ahmad,

Apologies for the difficulty while making payment. Could you please tell us more about the error that you are getting while initiating a transaction?

- Pradeep

Upwork

Thank you for the prompt response.
The option to "hire and pay " is not highlighting in green for selection.
So I can't initiate the payment until it appears green after filling out
the form with info about my credit card.

Hi Ahmad,

Have you tried clearing your browser’s cookies or using a different browser? If the issue still persists, could you please share the following information so that we can forward it to our team to be investigated further?

• Browser/s used
  • Browser version
  • Machine’s OS
  • Machine’s OS version
  • Screengrab of the issue
  • Additional details that may help us/the team investigate your concern better

~ AJ
Upwork
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Don't agree to an upfront payment. There are too many stories of freelancers who never did any work. 

The correct way to use upwork is release the payment when you receive the work. 

I am just starting out as freelancer. 
I have applied/proposal, for 1 job. 
the client is asking me to pay $30 upfront? This the norm ? 

Hi Miri,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Asking for an upfront fee from freelancers is against our Terms of Service and is a form of scam. 

Please check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

~ AJ
Upwork

I have sent a proposed project to a freelancer and intend to pay $30 and upon completion I balance the remaining. But the option to hire and pay isn't highlighting.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths