🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Making proposal
Page options
c58e523f
Community Member

Making proposal

Hi everybody,
I am new to Upwork, and I was wondering to ask some questions:
1-what is exactly "connects"? how does it work? because I saw the different values of that for different jobs!!
2- About"how long this project takes", how we have to know before having any connections with the clients, for some jobs the period of work is not specified, and before seeing the translation job, how we can decide?!
3- Same as question 2 for "how many milestones"!! how we need to know before having any idea about the total payment and hours per day that the client needs?!

4- Is there any specific point that we need to mention in the cover letter? or just focusing on our experience and related work we have done so far,etc.?

I appreciate if somebody can kindly guide me^^

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Firoozeh, 

I'm sorry we missed responding to your question. Please see my answers below: 

1-what is exactly "connects"? how does it work? because I saw the different values of that for different jobs!!

Connects are what you are charged when you submit a proposal for jobs posted in our marketplace. Depending on the job post, you will be charged up to six Connects to submit a proposal. 

2- About"how long this project takes", how we have to know before having any connections with the clients, for some jobs the period of work is not specified, and before seeing the translation job, how we can decide?!

3- Same as question 2 for "how many milestones"!! how we need to know before having any idea about the total payment and hours per day that the client needs?!

This is more of a question addressed to you, and how you will manage the client's project. You can assess this by breaking down what you need to do, and how long you will need to do it in order to complete the client's project successfully. This will all depend on how you manage your projects, and how you manage your freelancing business. 

4- Is there any specific point that we need to mention in the cover letter? or just focusing on our experience and related work we have done so far,etc.?

If you think it will be an additional benefit to you to mention a specific point/address a specific issue/question about the client's job, this is entirely up to you. A lot of top freelancers in the Community mention recommend that you should be able to catch the client's attention in the first two lines of your proposal already so that they will be interested to open your proposal and check out your profile. Through your proposal (and profile overview), you should be able to share how you can solve the client's problem or help them with their project. 

Since you are new here, I highly recommend that you read up on the freelancer resources we have compiled, for great tips and insights on how you can work successfully on the platform. Please don’t forget to read the Safety First! section of the resources, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths