🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Many questions
Page options
fforney
Community Member

Many questions

First question, will this post appear in this topic discussion?

See, I'm so new here I don't even know how to post a question!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
yitwail
Community Member

Frank F wrote:

When a client lists "preferred qualifications" which I do not meet, does that prevent them from seeing my proposal?

No, and regarding one of your other questions, it's not at all uncommon to send a number of proposals without hearing anything from the client. While clients do have the option to decline a proposal, in which case you will receive a notification that it was declined, most clients don't bother doing so.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
fforney
Community Member

Great! That answers the first question.

Next question is regarding my profile and proposals: am I OK so far?

fforney
Community Member

I've submitted four proposals so far. Are clients able to see my proposals? I don't necessarily expect them to respond but I'd like to know for sure they have received the proposal.

fforney
Community Member

When a client lists "preferred qualifications" which I do not meet, does that prevent them from seeing my proposal?

yitwail
Community Member

Frank F wrote:

No, and regarding one of your other questions, it's not at all uncommon to send a number of proposals without hearing anything from the client. While clients do have the option to decline a proposal, in which case you will receive a notification that it was declined, most clients don't bother doing so.

It seems the "Upwork Readiness Test" is an important step. Can I take that test now?

yitwail
Community Member

Frank F wrote:

It seems the "Upwork Readiness Test" is an important step. Can I take that test now?

You can take it whenever you like. You need to pass it to become Top Rated or Rising Talent, so it's worth taking.

I found the link to the test. Wish me luck!

fforney
Community Member

Passed it. Now the profile status bar is 100%.

Frank F wrote:

Passed it. Now the profile status bar is 100%.

I'm glad you passed it, but I was not real worried. 

Nice niche you have! Probably not a whole bunch of relevant jobs, but you should do well when you find something that is a good fit.

John K wrote:

Frank F wrote:

You can take it whenever you like. You need to pass it to become Top Rated or Rising Talent, so it's worth taking.

I'm just being picky, John, but that's not correct (unless the rules have changed in the last year). I'm Top Rated, but I've never taken the readiness test.

Richard W wrote:

John K wrote:

Frank F wrote:

I'm just being picky, John, but that's not correct (unless the rules have changed in the last year). I'm Top Rated, but I've never taken the readiness test.

Neither have I .... I'm not sure about this, but I think if you migrated from Elance, this has something to do with not having to take the test. But again, that's just a guess on my part.

ETA: I've often wondered what kinds of questions are on this "readiness test", because of the many, many major fails that newbies come to the forums with. Mostly I wonder what Upwork thinks makes them "ready" ... because most times, they don't seem to be ready at all. But I digress.

fforney
Community Member

I took the readiness test yesterday. It was easy. Taking the profile to 100% had this test or another option (forget what it was). So no, there is no absolute requirement for it if you take that option.

petra_r
Community Member

Frank F wrote:

Yes they can. Frank.

Clients get lots of proposals, they may not read all of them, and, especially as a newbie, you will not hear anything back from the vast majority of proposals, either way.

Your profile looks good and your portfolio looks amazing.

Your video is great but I would change the soundtrack and the robo-voice!

fforney
Community Member

Good to know the proposals are going through.

Yes there is no shortage of talent out there and I am low man on totem pole!

I expect to be overlooked in favor of those with Upwork experience and reputation.

Thanks for the comments on my profile and video!

Synthetic voice narration makes for easy script editing.

But you are not the first to criticize that approach.

So I will give that some thought!

mtngigi
Community Member

Frank,

This is just a suggestion, but I would lose the "Mac-based" comment ... some clients lack so little knowledge that if they're on a PC, they might think that's a deal-breaker. I would also take out the comment that you've just joined ... no sense pointing that out.

My 2¢.

fforney
Community Member

Thanks Virginia! I'll give this some serious thought.

mtngigi
Community Member

Frank F wrote:

Thanks Virginia! I'll give this some serious thought.

Just FYI - clients only see the first few lines of your overview, so it's advisable not to waste those first sentences with "greetings" or telling clients what your OS is or that you're new. They don't care about that. Get right into what you can offer right off the bat.

fforney
Community Member

I reduced the overview quite a bit and made it very direct.  Thanks!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths