Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mentally Unstable Freelancer: Recourse?

msahno
Michael S Member Since: Feb 21, 2017
11 of 21

Hi John,

I didn't see where the $55/rate was, but UpWork didn't provide too many options for this project. I still need the work done. Any freelancers you can suggest? I'm open. 

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
12 of 21

Michael, can't help you there, but why don't you describe broadly your project, and maybe other contributors can assist you. Whatever you do, review the freelancer profile before hiring anyone. If you'd looked at the profile before you made your hire, you'd have seen $55/hr right next to her name.

13 of 21

John, I can describe it very specifically. Here it is:

I have three novels that need some modifications to the interior design of the ebook versions. One is a re-launch, and has a new cover; one just needs minor modifications; and one needs a bunch of formatting errors fixed. The files need to be available in .mobi, .epub, PDF and Word, so I can upload the final versions to IngramSpark for Amazon distribution and Smashwords for everywhere else.

The person I hire must be able to optimize all files so that they are correctly viewed on all browsers, devices, etc. So they need to have experience successfully optimizing files for proper appearance on Kindle, Nook, iTunes, Smashwords, Kobo, and other platforms… and look right on desktop, mobile, tablet, or whatever the end user has.

These novels are already completed and published, so the majority of the work involves fixing small formatting errors created by the original designer. The conversions to .mobi, .epub, etc., can be easily done with a software program.

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
14 of 21

@John K wrote:

Michael, can't help you there, but why don't you describe broadly your project, and maybe other contributors can assist you. Whatever you do, review the freelancer profile before hiring anyone. If you'd looked at the profile before you made your hire, you'd have seen $55/hr right next to her name.

Slightly off-topic, but John: from a proposal, a client can't actually go to a freelancer's full profile page and see their posted hourly rate. They get a kind of embedded profile-lite version that shows pretty much everything else (JSS, history, etc) but they can't see the freelancer's posted rate, only their proposed rate for the job. To actually view a freelancer's full profile from a proposal, a client has to save the freelancer, and then go and look at their Saved list, and then click the link in there. It's something I've complained about before...

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
15 of 21

If you have the time, I know you're probably a busy man, but search profiles with more experience. Google their overview to make sure it's not plagerized.  Google their portfolio items to make sure they are not just lifted from someone elses.  

Ask questions. Lots of questions to get an idea if they know what they're talking about and you are sure they can address your issue. 

Key thing. If you have a shread of doubt just realize, there are thousands of designers on Upwork to choose from. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
csjarmitage
Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
16 of 21

What do you need designed? Do you need HTML? What's your budget and deadline?

The answers you give will make it much easier to pinpoint exceptional-quality designers on the site.

@Michael S wrote:

Hi John,

I didn't see where the $55/rate was, but UpWork didn't provide too many options for this project. I still need the work done. Any freelancers you can suggest? I'm open. 

msahno
17 of 21

I have three novels that need some modifications to the interior design of the ebook versions. One is a re-launch, and has a new cover; one just needs minor modifications; and one needs a bunch of formatting errors fixed. The files need to be available in .mobi, .epub, PDF and Word, so I can upload the final versions to IngramSpark for Amazon distribution and Smashwords for everywhere else.

The person I hire must be able to optimize all files so that they are correctly viewed on all browsers, devices, etc. So they need to have experience successfully optimizing files for proper appearance on Kindle, Nook, iTunes, Smashwords, Kobo, and other platforms… and look right on desktop, mobile, tablet, or whatever the end user has.

I tried the search function but only found one person to invite. (One caveat re: location. Sorry, but I'm not interested in trying to hire someone in a developing country. I'll search for a local here in Tampa before I do that.)

I need this done within the next week, and I'm willing to negotiate on price if they have demonstrated expertise in this area and can turn it around with minimal problems.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
18 of 21

@Michael S wrote:

I tried the search function but only found one person to invite. (One caveat re: location. Sorry, but I'm not interested in trying to hire someone in a developing country. I'll search for a local here in Tampa before I do that.)

I need this done within the next week, and I'm willing to negotiate on price if they have demonstrated expertise in this area and can turn it around with minimal problems.

You need to pay good money. Sorry but there it is. Do not go for entry/intermediate level,  but offer a decent price at expert level and you will find the freelancer who can do the job.

The freelancer you had should be banned from the site for trying to blackmail you.

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
19 of 21

It's hard to fathom that someone displaying this kind of behavior thinks they'll get away with it. How can they possibly think that?

Michael, as others have stated, rest assured that this "freelancer" in no way, shape or form represents the majority of great professionals on this site.

msahno
20 of 21

Indeed, I am a freelancer myself, and was horrified by this whole experience. My clients pay me well, but not in advance!