🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Message received
Page options
janhershey
Community Member

Message received

Good day everyone!

I did submit a proposal for data entry and got so excited when I received a message from a client. However, he did not answer me back and I am not showing that he is active. How would I know if that project was no longer active? I did send him another message but still no response. It has been a week.

Thank you in advance guys!

Happy job hunting!

2 REPLIES 2
kat303
Community Member

@Roselle G wrote:

Good day everyone!

I did submit a proposal for data entry and got so excited when I received a message from a client. However, he did not answer me back and I am not showing that he is active. How would I know if that project was no longer active? I did send him another message but still no response. It has been a week.

Thank you in advance guys!

Happy job hunting!

You've sent this client 2 messages. IMO you shouldn't send any more. This client has your information and knows how to find you if he wants to hire you. Just because you've received a message, that doesn't mean the client is obligated to hire you or even wants to hire you. Things may have come up for him. He may have hired someone else. Or he may not have found the ideal freelancer.

Jobs automatically expire after 30 days of no activity, if Upwork closes the job due to some violation of the TOS on the clients part or if the client themselves closes the job. 

raina5
Community Member

This happens fairly often. He may reach out to you again, or not. Some clients move through the process fast, some slow. I have had people respond weeks later wanting to hire me, people dissapear forever, and everything in between. It's exciting to get those first nibbles but just remember you are "hiring" them too. There are jobs I took because I was so excited to be offered one that turned out to be a bad experience. Look for any red flags before accepting a job. Slow response like this isn't necessarily a red flag, but they are playing it cool, and so probably, you should too. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths