🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Milestone approval
Page options
hardeep_p
Community Member

Milestone approval

Hi all,
I am new here so I don't know how to handle this situation, so please make me aware of all of my options.

I recently started a contract, Client sent me an offer which I accepted but later he changed his mind and said, due to some reason he first wants me to work on first 4 tasks for half a price of the originally proposed offer, to which I agree, now the work is done, I got this message from him.
"I will settle your $50 as agreed. However, I cannot pay $50 if $100 was funded to the milestone. Therefore, I may need to cancel the contract on my side first, in order to correct the milestone amount and assign job back to you.. or better is you can initiate a simple refund from your side,
then I will fund the milestone correctly, so you can get paid asap"

So is this a right way to handle this situation, please let me know.
Thanks in advance

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Hardeep,

Just to confirm that our Fixed-Price Protection for Freelancers does not cover promised funds or unfunded milestones. Your client can also approve a partial amount of the full budget that is funded on your milestone. You can share this Help Article with your client where detail instructions are listed on how to make a partial payment to you. Thank you!

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Hardeep,

Just to confirm that our Fixed-Price Protection for Freelancers does not cover promised funds or unfunded milestones. Your client can also approve a partial amount of the full budget that is funded on your milestone. You can share this Help Article with your client where detail instructions are listed on how to make a partial payment to you. Thank you!

~ Goran
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

@hardeep P wrote:

"I will settle your $50 as agreed. However, I cannot pay $50 if $100 was funded to the milestone. Therefore, I may need to cancel the contract on my side first, in order to correct the milestone amount and assign job back to you.. or better is you can initiate a simple refund from your side,
then I will fund the milestone correctly, so you can get paid asap"

So is this a right way to handle this situation, please let me know.
Thanks in advance

No, it is not. So the amount funded is $ 100, right?

Go to the contract, click on "Submit work and release payment" and edit the sum requested to $ 50.

The client should approve it and then set up the second milestone of $ 50 - which will be funded from the money remaining in Escrow.

No need for new contract (in fact that would be a BAD, BAD idea...)

Hi Petra,

Thanks for this awesome advice, bless you.

Hardeep

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths