cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Milestone payment for fully funded project

Ace Contributor
June H Member Since: Nov 29, 2016
1 of 6

What is the mechanism for requesting a milestone payment?  The project is fully funded but I outlined delivery milestones and the amount to be paid (via messages) before I accepted the offer and the client agreed to them.  Do I just request payment for the 1st milestone via messaging? 

Is there a formal mechanism for the freelancer to set up milestones (and payment amouont)?

Thanks!

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
2 of 6

The client sets up the milestones, not the freelancer. You receive the milestone amount by submitting whatever work you agreed to in that first milestone.

The client has to release the first milestone before setting up and funding another milestone.

It might help you out to do some reading in the help section about how milestones work.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 6

@Virginia F wrote:

The client has to release the first milestone before setting up and funding another milestone.

Clients can, and should be encouraged to, set up and fund multiple milestones while setting up a contract.

multiple milestones.jpg

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 6

Hi June,

When you complete the agreed work, you can use the green button on the contract page to Submit Work/Request payment. Once you do that, the client will have 14 days to review the work and release the payment or requests changes.

You can check this help article for more information about payments on fixed-price contracts.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 6

re: "The project is fully funded but I outlined delivery milestones and the amount to be paid (via messages) before I accepted the offer and the client agreed to them."

It is always a good idea for freelancers to write the milestones and tell clients how much each will cost.

That is what I do.

But only the client can actually create the milestones within the Upwork interface. They can copy and paste the wording you provide to them.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 6

June, so your client funded just one milestone, covering the whole project as one?

It makes it all a little more clunky, but the client can still just release partial amounts. All they have to do is type in the lesser amount when releasing

In future I would suggest that you encourage your client to set and fund all milestones right from the outset, so they can be submitted and released easily and automatically and without jumping through any hoops.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS