Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Milestones Expectations

903d96a1
Alex P Member Since: Feb 21, 2017
1 of 6

Hello all,

I am brand new here on Upwork as a client and I'm just getting to understand how it all works. So my question is about creating milestones. I currently need (and will need in the near future) to hire a web designer to build a website/ blog on WordPress. I will pitch the project as a fixed rate job. But how should I break down the milestones for this type of job? I'm sure this is a very common project and I just want to be realistic with my expectations. 

Any suggestions as to how many milestones and what should they entail for this type of job?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 6

Hi Alex,

Other members of the Community who have experience with WordPress may jump in and give you some tips. I would just like to share a few links you may find helpful:

Pay for Fixed-Price Contracts

Building & Customizing a WordPress Website: What to Know & Who to Hire

How Much Does it Cost to Hire a WordPress Developer?

~ Valeria
Untitled
yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
3 of 6

Alex, I notice you stated you will need a 'web designer'. Are you aware of the difference between a web designer and a web developer? While there are freelancers equally skilled at both, you'll have a wider talent pool if you hire one of each, assuming that's what the project requires. This is an oversimplification but in general, the designer creates what the site looks like, typically in the form of one or more photoshop files, complete with logo, background images, and so forth, and the developer would turn it into a website by customizing a WordPress theme or building one from scratch.

One way to create milestones for the development part might be based on the type of distinct pages the site would have, such as home page, blog page, contact page, single blog post, and single inner page, or some combinations thereof.

Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 6

re: "While there are freelancers equally skilled at both"

In a logical or mathematical sense, who is "equally skilled" at any two abilities or skills?

Nobody.

I think you mean "there are freelancers skilled at both"

reinierb
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
5 of 6

@Preston H wrote:

re: "While there are freelancers equally skilled at both"

In a logical or mathematical sense, who is "equally skilled" at any two abilities or skills?

Nobody.

I think you mean "there are freelancers skilled at both"

re; "While there are freelancers equally skilled at both"

How would logic not be applicable to this statement, and how would you apply mathematics to this statement to arrive at the conclusion that nobody can be "equally" skilled at two different abilities or skills? 

903d96a1
Alex P Member Since: Feb 21, 2017
6 of 6

Thank you Valeria. I will be sure to check out those links you provided.