cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Milestones

Pablo C Member Since: Nov 7, 2018
1 of 5

Sorry if this is a silly question. I'm very new to the platform. When I'm submitting a proposal for a job, Upwork asks if I want to be paid for Milestones or a Fixed price. I have no preferences about that. Does my response to it influence on any level in the choice of work by the client?

Jacinto M Member Since: Jan 11, 2018
2 of 5

Hello! It does not usually influence, they are only the forms of payment that you accept for direct payment projects. Milestones are used for when a project has several tasks and as you complete them you can receive the payment. However, an agreement can be reached with the client before starting work (milestones or fixed price)

3 of 5

Hi Jacinto, thanks very much for replying!

I am writing at my proposal that I can do by milestones or Fixed price, as they wish...so I gess I am doing the right thing then, right?

Thanks!

Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
BEST ANSWER
4 of 5

A Fixed Price project can have a single payment or multiple payments (aka milestones).

If a project is low value and you are willing to be paid in a single payment (usually when you submit the finished product to the client), then a single payment is all you'll need.

If you want to be paid as the project reaches different stages of completion, you'll need to set up milestones the define specific payments due from the client on specific dates.

Single payment arrangements are for small projects. Milestone arrangements are for larget value projects where you don't want to complete the project without having any payments from the client.

The dates of the milestones you agree to with the client are your commitment to have the work completed to a certain stage on each date. Give yourself a little slack - if you think it will take you five days to complete a stage, set up a milestone so you have seven days. Clients won't mind if you submit work early; they often don't like it if you are late in delivering promised work.

Make your last milestone a small one, so if the client stops communicating after the project is complete, you will only have to wait the default 14 on a small portion of the overall value of the project.

DO NOT / NEVER start work on any milestone that Upwork shows has not been fully funded by the client. (No money, no workey.) You might also tell the client you will start work on each milestone after they have approved the milestone before it. That gives them incentive not to wait the allowed maximum 14 days before releasing escrow on each completed milestone.

Good luck.

5 of 5

Thank you so much!

Solved 100%

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS