🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Mistakes You Believe that Beginners Should Av...
Page options
e2de8137
Community Member

Mistakes You Believe that Beginners Should Avoid!

Hello,Smiley Wink

Your own personal opinion regarding this question is highly appreciated. 

What are the common mistakes new beginners usually do when they join Upwork?

8 REPLIES 8
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Fatima H wrote:

Hello,Smiley Wink

Your own personal opinion regarding this question is highly appreciated. 

What are the common mistakes new beginners usually do when they join Upwork?

1. They don't read the help section or relevant forum posts.

2. They don't research their competition to get an idea how to make their profile stand out. 

3. They accept jobs too fast before everything is discussed with the client, 

4. They expect invitations.

5. They believe freelancer plus gives them some advantage over their competion.

6. They think some obscure 5$ job on their profile makes their profile look good. 

I could go on and on....

petra_r
Community Member

Are you expecting us to provide you with free research for your "teaching people how to use Upwork" business you are trying to set up?

Petra R wrote:

Are you expecting us to provide you with free research for your "teaching people how to use Upwork" business you are trying to set up?

Yeah I know. Still couldn't resist to air my grievances .... 😉

e2de8137
Community Member

Reply to Petra

I still wonder how do you have that confusion about my previous question. The question did not state anything that shows that I am personally doing it, however, your biased reply targeted me disregarding how the question was phrased. 

If your read it again, I am going to paste it here, you will see that there is no direct relation to me doing the job but it was a too general question. 

Quoting my previous question "Is it ethically acceptable by Upwork to set a job announcement that we offer paid tutoring sessions on how to get started with Upwork?"

"we" could be any freelancer and not personally myself where language-wise I did not make a personal statement. 

Your attitude to replying to a very general question made me feel more cautious of your views in general regardless of your top-rated profile.

Best Regards 

Fatima H wrote:

Reply to Petra

I still wonder how do you have that confusion about my previous question. The question did not state anything that shows that I am personally doing it, however, your biased reply targeted me disregarding how the question was phrased. 

If your read it again, I am going to paste it here, you will see that there is no direct relation to me doing the job but it was a too general question. 

Quoting my previous question "Is it ethically acceptable by Upwork to set a job announcement that we offer paid tutoring sessions on how to get started with Upwork?"

"we" could be any freelancer and not personally myself where language-wise I did not make a personal statement. 

Your attitude to replying to a very general question made me feel more cautious of your views in general regardless of your top-rated profile.

Best Regards 

Let it go. When people post general questions about upwork, they still don't use "we". You should neither speak for other freelancers, nor assume that your question is of wide interest. It isn't. 

Maybe you have figured out in the meantime that you can't post a job offering this service, because you'd have to pay the freelancer you hire. You can still offer this service on your profile, but I doubt many newbies will search or be willing to pay for it, since they get everything they need for free in upwork's help section, or in the forum from paid upwork employees or other freelancers who get nothing for it except the satisfaction of helping others. 

sullivanliz
Community Member

a_lipsey
Community Member

Listing skills they don't have is a common mistake. 

Amanda L wrote:

Listing skills they don't have is a common mistake. 

And boy, do they ever. There are people here offering AI and quantum computing services for $5 an hour. I suppose if they're slow to deliver it's because they're up in Stockholm picking up a Nobel Prize.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths