cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Most invites I get are scams and not legit employers

Rachael Andrea J Member Since: Apr 21, 2017
1 of 5

I have been on Upwork for a couple of weeks now and have been eager to work online/remotely. I am located in the US and therefore bidding from $15-$20 to job postings (but open to negotiation). I've applied to a lot of postings but most of the invites I have been getting are from scammers. They have a pattern: Most of them  have unverified payment & have relatively new profiles (1-3 days old), They tell you to add their hiring manager for interview via Google Hangouts and interview starts as soon as you message them. They represent big international companies, they explain vision mission to you first and then get your name, number, location and age afterwards.  Then end  up asking you to pay or register or purchase a program you would need to work for them. The first one cost $290. I realized it was a scam and flagged them. The others just disappear when I get suspicious. 

HELP! How do you detect legit clients and how to spot scammers right away?

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 5

re: "Most invites I get are scams and not legit employers"

In contrast, all of the invites I get are legitimate job offers from good clients who want to pay me my rate to do real work.

You need to hang in there and gain experience, so that you stop getting scam invites.

For now, because you are an entry-level Upwork freelancer with zero job experience, you need to know that ALL of the invites you receive from out of the blue will be from scammers.

Just ignore them all. Focus ONLY on jobs that you personally apply to. This will save a lot of time.

3 of 5

Thank you Preston!

Appreciate it. I will work harder on my profile. Hope to be as lucky as you! 

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
4 of 5

Rachael,

Preston's success is due to high qualifications and twenty years experience in his field, not to "luck".

5 of 5
That is true. He does have a very strong profile and credentials!
I have observed that takes quite a while to build a strong reputation and get those kind of qualifications on Upwork. It also takes a while to get noticed by good clients too. I just want to be able to start on a legit project to get my career moving.

Any tips for me? Please feel free to review my profile. Thanks.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS