🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Most used software programs for Upwork jobs?
Page options
gregory-pena
Community Member

Most used software programs for Upwork jobs?

I'm new to upwork as a freelance writer and web designer, want to take an online course on a specific program and get the certificate to complete my profile. What are the best and most used software programs I could take for the work I am pursuing?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

The following message is only intended for freelancers who are open to learning new things as a way to maximize potential profit. If a freelancer already knows exactly what he wants to do and isn't interested in making adjustments to that, then please disregard:

Why would you waste time trying to learn things that will lead to having the most competition and least profit?

Instead of learning the "most used" programs...

Why not learn software programs or technologies that are in the most demand, and thus maximize your potential profit?

The skills that are in most demand have relatively FEW freelancers who offer those skills - relative to the number of clients asking for those skills, and thus those freelancers can ask for higher pay and have a better chance getting hired.

So one strategy is to NOT learn the "most used" skills/programs... because so many people already offer those... But to see what skills SOME clients are asking for (not huge numbers, but not zero either), yet have difficulty hiring for because not so many freelancers have those skills.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

The following message is only intended for freelancers who are open to learning new things as a way to maximize potential profit. If a freelancer already knows exactly what he wants to do and isn't interested in making adjustments to that, then please disregard:

Why would you waste time trying to learn things that will lead to having the most competition and least profit?

Instead of learning the "most used" programs...

Why not learn software programs or technologies that are in the most demand, and thus maximize your potential profit?

The skills that are in most demand have relatively FEW freelancers who offer those skills - relative to the number of clients asking for those skills, and thus those freelancers can ask for higher pay and have a better chance getting hired.

So one strategy is to NOT learn the "most used" skills/programs... because so many people already offer those... But to see what skills SOME clients are asking for (not huge numbers, but not zero either), yet have difficulty hiring for because not so many freelancers have those skills.

Thanks for the response, makes sense to learn programs that are on high demand with not many certified workers. I'm taking a wordpress course on Udemy to start off, any other programs you suggest?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths