🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Motivate Clients to leave feedback
Page options
excel_crab
Community Member

Motivate Clients to leave feedback

Good day,

I hope Upwork would find a way to more effectively motivate clients to leave feedback.

When new to Upwork, every good feedback for a job well done counts a lot.  I've had two clients in the past whom I have very positive feedback of my work in emails or skype (even tried to offer another job) but didn't leave any feedback in the Upwork job. 

And to be honest, having "no feedback given" doesn't look nice on the profile.  Other clients seeing that might think negatively of it.

I know there's a lot of new very promising Freelancers out there who had high quality experience and dedication before they joined Upwork.  But if clients don't leave feedback, their chances of being discovered for their high quality work becomes a matter of luck or gets delayed significantly or worse, gets ignored because of the negative appearance of "no feedback given" on the profile.

Thanks for hearing me out.

Mark

14 REPLIES 14
petra_r
Community Member

@Mark T wrote:

I hope Upwork would find a way to more effectively motivate clients to leave feedback.

Upwork already does.

If a client closes a contract there is no way they can avoid leaving feedback.

It means you never have to ask a client to leave feedback, all you have to do is encourage them to close the contract, then you are guaranteed feedback.

And no client is put off by the occasional "No Feedback given" contract in someone's work history, virtually everyone has those.

Hi Petra,

I have seen you say in many posts that if a client closes a contract, there is no way he can do that without leaving feedback.

However, one of my clients closed a contract last month, and I see 'No feedback given'. It's been a month now, so the 14-day rule doesn't hold. Also, I have left him feedback which shows on his account.

I had refunded him the second milestone and he had paid me via a bonus. So it wasn't a nothing-ever-paid contract too. Any ideas why there is no feedback?

Hi Petra,

Thanks for your answer.  I do ask my clients for Upwork feedback after every job. I ask them in a very polite and professional manner and I always give my clients a feedback.

And I do ask them to close the contract once the job is fully completed and no more revisions required.

It only takes a few seconds to leave a feedback and it's frustrating when clients don't.  Ratings and job success score is a huge factor of success as a freelancer and it's not good when you're doing an excellent job and not reflected in your profile.

It's not good for clients as well if freelancer ratings are not accurately reflected.  Client might hire someone who has more ratings and review over someone who has less but is more qualified and more capable to do the job.  It can affect a client's ability to choose the best freelancer for their job.

Kind Regards

@Mark T wrote:

Thanks for your answer.  I do ask my clients for Upwork feedback after every job. I ask them in a very polite and professional manner and I always give my clients a feedback.

Well, I have never once asked a client for feedback and never, ever, under any circumstances would. Personally I consider it to be an unprofessional thing to do and many clients find it irritating and unprofessional as well. Ultimately managing your contracts and clients is your job. Don't expect Upwork to do it for you.

@Prachi T wrote:

Hi Petra,

I have seen you say in many posts that if a client closes a contract, there is no way he can do that without leaving feedback.

However, one of my clients closed a contract last month, and I see 'No feedback given'. It's been a month now, so the 14-day rule doesn't hold. Also, I have left him feedback which shows on his account.

Are you 100% sure the client ended the contract, not you?

Go to the contract under My Jobs, All Contracts, then click on Terms and Settings and see if you can see any feedback there. Then, underneath there is a link called "View History of Contract Changes" - That will show you who did what and when (including who closed the contract)

Hi Petra,

I didn't ask for feedback at first.  I'm aware it can be annoying to some clients.

I only started to (politely) ask after I received my first "no feedback given" job.  And I only ask once and I don't ask them again even if they never give feedback.

I'll take your advice in consideration.  I can agree to that and let's see how my future jobs go.

About managing my contracts and clients.  The only way I can see to avoid "no feedback given" (in addition to doing the job perfectly) is to avoid clients that has plenty of "no feedback given" to their freelancers on their profile.

Kind Regards,

@Mark T wrote:

Hi Petra,

I didn't ask for feedback at first.  I'm aware it can be annoying to some clients.

I only started to (politely) ask after I received my first "no feedback given" job.  And I only ask once and I don't ask them again even if they never give feedback.

Then don't ask for feedback, ask for the contract to be closed, which has the same effect.

Thanks for your reply, Petra.

I checked the contract and it says this:

Oct 10  Your contract has been ended 

It does not say that the client ended the contract.

I did not end the contract because work was pending from my end.

Also, no feedback from the client. Only my feedback to him shows. 

@Prachi T wrote:

I checked the contract and it says this:

Oct 10  Your contract has been ended 

It does not say that the client ended the contract.

Did the client ask for a refund of the Escrow funds and you agreed? That ends the contract.

Yes, I had issued him a refund. 

I had received an email notification which said:

Your contract for <job title> ended on Oct 10, 2018. The client has requested return of funds from escrow.

This notification was from before I agreed for the refund.

I guess the client simply requested the refund and hence could skip the mandatory feedback step.

@Prachi T wrote:

Your contract for <job title> ended on Oct 10, 2018. The client has requested return of funds from escrow.

This notification was from before I agreed for the refund.

I guess the client simply requested the refund and hence could skip the mandatory feedback step.

Yup!

I feel the same. I'm new to Upwork and I got two clients. They both said they loved my work and they want to work with me again. I asked them to close the contract but no one apparently knew how to (I find myself instructing clients how to do things on Upwork a lot which is a bit frustrating when Upwork is pretty good with making detailed directions) and then I sent them a message saying that I've closed the contract and asked to leave a review as it helps me get jobs in the future and I got ZERO feedback. Like even some stars and no comments. I went above and beyond SPECIFICALLY so I can get a rating as I'm new here. Kinda sucks. 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mark, 

You may also want to refer this announcement post, where the team made an effort for clients to leave more feedback. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Thanks Avery,

I read Jeff's post.  He also sees "no feedback" as a bad thing.  So I'm not paranoid it seems.

Jeff mentioned one reason a  client won't leave a feedback is bad freelancer experience and the client is kind enough not to leave a negative feedback.

I would bet many old clients of Upwork would be knowledgeable of this and would definitely see it as a bad thing if you have many "no feedback given" on your profile Man Surprised

I always politely ask my clients to leave a feedback either just before or as the contract is closed.

I did notice that all my "no feedback" jobs are only short and easy jobs.  And one of the clients who did not give feedback have a tendency to not give feedback to other freelancers as well.

Perhaps, I should be more careful in choosing my clients!

Kind Regards,

@Avery O wrote:

Hi Mark, 

You may also want to refer this announcement post, where the team made an effort for clients to leave more feedback. 

Avery, I remember this; but I'm thinking that the test ended.  Is that correct or has it continued?  Thanks!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths