cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple profiles on Upwork for different categories

John K Member Since: May 15, 2018
1 of 22

I do two very distinct things as a freelancer, I am a professional photographer and I am also a software developer (my current upwork profile). Although both are independent divisions (completely different branding, dba, clients, customers, etc) of my corporation, they are both wholly owned by my company (use the same corporate bank account, taxid, etc.).

I want to be able to bid on upwork photography projects, but it's extremely difficult using my software development profile; ie. different work history, skill set, rate structure, DBA, etc. It's completely different, although the person performing both types of work is still me.

Why can't I use upwork for both, rather than being forced to one of your competitors for my photography?

Community Guru
Ryan C Member Since: Feb 3, 2017
2 of 22

Hello John,

Please note that you are not allowed to have multiple accounts here in Upwork. However, you can include both of your photography & software development skills and experience in your profile. You can also add some of your sample products in your portfolio to showcase your skills. Thank you.

Untitled
3 of 22

Yeah Ryan - that's not an acceptable answer nor position.

1) Upwork only permits an anemic 10 skills - this isn't even sufficient for the software development - it's certainly not supportive of both photographic and software contracting.

2) You obviously didn't read my post, where I itemized that projects, clients, job history, skills, EVERYTHING is different. Mixing the two would do nothing but confuse a potential client.

3) Are you kidding me with this single profile rule - all this policy accomplishes is to send your customers to the competition, because you don't think out your policy and how it negatively  impacts your customers.

4) I've noticed this rather severe underlying contempt for your customer base and their professional needs from Upwork since joining. Maybe I need to post some social reviews.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 22

John:

Ryan is extremely professional. He is communicating accurate information to you and answering your question.

You are welcome to discuss this topic here in the Forum and propose changes to how Upwork operates. Many positive changes at Upwork have come about as a result of discussions that began here.

But for future reference, the expected tenor of discourse in the Forum is polite, defferential, sedate. And we don't need to make threats in order to be heard.

5 of 22

Preston - I felt Ryan's response was disingenuous and dismissive.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 22

I think most of us who are regular Forum participants are accustomed to the tone and manner found in Moderator postings. I am unable to gauge how the moderator's response felt to you, because I lack your perspective as a newcomer to the Forum.

We welcome information from moderators, but these threads are typically conversations among Upwork users. Not a dialogue between users and moderators. Don't look at Ryan or any other moderator as being "Upwork" or the cause of any policies you don't like. They don't make policy decisions. Their job is to offer information and assistance.

Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
7 of 22

Well John:

I will be more brutal than Preston. 

Let me first be polite.  Upwork has been plagued by fake multiple profiles by freelancers.  If they open the gate for you 'officially' they can't prevent others to take advantage and scam buyers.

Now I will be brutal.  Let's have an analogy.  All countries have 1 person = 1 vote.  You can't have 2 votes becasue you claim hat during day you dress as a John, but in the evenning you go by Johanna.  Thus you have two personalities and deserve 2 votes.

8 of 22

Prashant,

Well, I'm certainly not advocating fake or scam profiles and I'm not sure I accept that supporting the structure I have (and I'm sure there are other legitimate instances of this structure where an individual does more than one thing professionally), is some how condusive to illicit activity.

The solution seems to be rather straight forward and is being used in other online systems. Basically you have one controlling profile, that contains the individual's or corporation's verified data, banking info, etc. Then you might have two sub-profiles that contain division specific info, like project history, skills, etc.

This structure is sucessfully implemented and functioning on other sites as I mentioned. One of which is a site for photographers to sell services and finished product to customers/clients, where a photographer may do both glamour and wedding photography and it's important to keep them distinct, including project history and work product. That's just one example.

Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
9 of 22

Perhaps Upwok is not a suitable platform for you to use.

10 of 22

Maybe rather than being patronizing and dismissive, it might be well to recognize that there are legitimate business needs for users of Upwork, that although foreign to your own model, are nonetheless worth valuing by this platform (in fact ones which are already recognized, valued and embraced by similar platforms) and most certainly don't deserve your "if you don't like it, leave" response.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS