cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple profiles on Upwork for different categories

Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
11 of 22

OK enough mumbo jumbo.  You as a coder should recognize that each platform has its own infrastucture and support modules.  The current Upwork infrastructure does not permit it or they have made a business decision not to invest in such a thing.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

It is their business.  They are not running a charity.  Accomodating every John and Johanna is not in their mission statement. They can decide whatever they want to and however hey want to.  If you were to volunteer to develop such an infrasturcture that is abuse proof they may entertain the idea.

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
12 of 22

John, Instead of being "p'd o" if you maybe asked " can anyone give me advice on how to structure my profile to include 2 competely different skills", you would have gotten a better reception and response.

Currently Upwork only allows one profile.  This is their site, these are their rules. There have been and are, sites that allow seperate profiles. This site is not one of them. So you have 2 choices, to restructure your profile in a way to showcase both skills, or to look and work on a freelancer site that accomodates what you need.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
13 of 22

I have no use for it myself.

But to John's credit... He DID provide a rational and technically feasible explanation for how his idea could be put into practice while answering Prashant's primary concern about fraudulent profiles.

(Of course, that is not the only reason why Upwork does things the way they do.)

Paul A Member Since: Jun 19, 2018
14 of 22

Hi John, 

I agree with a lot of what you're saying because I'm also an entpreneur and have multiple businesses.  Although in upwork I'm usually a customer.     I've two separate businesses one in software and the other in online and local retail.   The only way you can achieve here what you're planning is to have two different corporate or LLC entities.   First off , the way you're doing business Photograhy and software development on one single bank account and entity is completely not the way to do if you're running real businesses.   Real businesses have to be classified separately under different category and code and they need to have separate tax ids and accounting etc.,     Those are serious businesses.   Having it that way will also protect you from claims and have proper insurance.    On the long run it will pay off.   It's not a major overhead.     Once you have separate business entities you can designate them here without issues.      But if you don't want to separate your businesses, then it basically looks like a part time hobby work.   

Jessica O Member Since: Sep 14, 2018
15 of 22

I COMPLETELY disagree. John has two distinct skillsets. I'm in the same boat. Multiple profiles for legitimately different services is hardly the same thing as FRAUDULENT, fake profiles. I hope Upwork reconsiders this policy and invests in fraud detection rather than stifle activity on the platform.

Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
16 of 22

@Jessica O wrote:

I COMPLETELY disagree. John has two distinct skillsets. I'm in the same boat. Multiple profiles for legitimately different services is hardly the same thing as FRAUDULENT, fake profiles. I hope Upwork reconsiders this policy and invests in fraud detection rather than stifle activity on the platform.

FWIW Upwork is trying out a system that allows freelancers to have multiple profile tabs on their profile page. I've seen a few profiles of that sort. But as yet it has only limited availability. I think the trial scheme is only for certain categories, and maybe it's invitation-only. I don't know.

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
17 of 22

John, 

I apologise if you feel that the team has a lack of concern for the Community. And if any of the Upwork team make you feel otherwise, please know that it is not what we intend to do. We try our best to make sure that we get back to all users on a timely manner, and assist each, and everyone who has raised an issue or a concern, here in the Community or through any other means. If you have further feedback on how we can make our services better, you may post it here, or reach out to any of our Team Leaders, Vladimir, and Valeria, or our Manager, Lena.

Going back on your original post, I would like to share this announcement post by Lena about Specialized Profiles for Freelancers in Mobile Development. This allows for users in the Mobile Development category to create a secondary profile on the same account and profile. Our goal is to launch this option in other categories in 2018. However, please note that we are currently only testing this option and will base our decision on testing results and feedback from our users.

-Avery
Untitled
Hamza I Member Since: Mar 11, 2017
18 of 22

In fact, I want to ask a question on this purpose. Since it is difficult to succeed in a new added skill "photography in this case" due to the freelancer background "software developer". Is it possible to tell your own clients about those skills, so that they hire you when needed or recommend you to other clients?

John K Member Since: May 15, 2018
19 of 22

Hi Hamza,

The challenge is that it is not the same clients (or even perspective clients), which contract me for photography versus software. Essentially it is two distinct businesses, with distinct marketing, contracts, engagements and of course deliverables. For instance as a software architect and developer, it is typically the CIO or technology project manager who brings me in. With the photography, it is typically a marketing manager, art director/creative director. Completely distinct islands of operation within a company. For the most part my software clients are not even aware of my photography clients and vice versa.

It's possible on a platform such as upwork, where I get the impression clients are considerably smaller, that there is some crossover, but clients like contractors that specialize. I'm not sure they'd particularly embrace, two rather desparet skill sets at a professional level from a single contractor. I think they'd probably have more of the mindset of "decide which career you want already" - that's why I've always kept the two distinct - but I've reached the point where I'm very proficient at both.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
20 of 22

Avery,

It is something that many of would like to have: The ability to categorize skills. So I really hope that UW keeps this on the roadmap and makes it happen.If one can be a client and freelancer on one account, It should  also be possible to make separate divisions for different skill sets.  

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS