🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: My Client
Page options
nikaventurini
Community Member

My Client

Hi there,

I just started using UpWork and I submitted my first proposal for a writer. I got back feedback in the messages saying I should write a 1000 word article as an example. Which is normal. However, now this client sent me a message if I'm able to write more articles, but my proposal is still under active proposals and no contract was made. I was wondering how to continue? I did check all the help questions but didn't find anything. I believe that the client should send me a contract. How should I advance? 

Thank you

Kind Regards

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Upwork will notify you when a client accepts your proposal on their project.

You will then confirm that their acceptance reflects what you proposed in terms of work product required and payment(s) to you. (Clients have been known to "confirm" a lower price than you proposed - be sure to check all elements of the client's confirmation.)

A fixed price project should always have one or more milestones created by the client to outline the project schedule. Don't start work on a milestone for a fixed price project until you have been paid for al previous milestone's and the current milestone has been fully funded by the client. 

Good luck.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
schardo
Community Member

Did you just send a proposal, or did you send a completed piece?

1) Don't work for free. 

2) If a client asks you to work for free, that's a violation of the ToS. Report them. 

I usually just say something cheerful like "As soon as you send me the contract, I'll get working on it right away!" 

No contract = no work

Thank you so much for the advice, I will definitely follow your tips.

petra_r
Community Member

Nika V wrote:

I got back feedback in the messages saying I should write a 1000 word article as an example. Which is normal.

Not only is it not "normal" - it is also forbidden on Upwork.

Yes, I'm starting to realise that now. I was always used to write sample articles first. 

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Upwork will notify you when a client accepts your proposal on their project.

You will then confirm that their acceptance reflects what you proposed in terms of work product required and payment(s) to you. (Clients have been known to "confirm" a lower price than you proposed - be sure to check all elements of the client's confirmation.)

A fixed price project should always have one or more milestones created by the client to outline the project schedule. Don't start work on a milestone for a fixed price project until you have been paid for al previous milestone's and the current milestone has been fully funded by the client. 

Good luck.

Thank you so much! 

colettelewis
Community Member

Nika V wrote:

Hi there,

I just started using UpWork and I submitted my first proposal for a writer. I got back feedback in the messages saying I should write a 1000 word article as an example. Which is normal. However, now this client sent me a message if I'm able to write more articles, but my proposal is still under active proposals and no contract was made. I was wondering how to continue? I did check all the help questions but didn't find anything. I believe that the client should send me a contract. How should I advance? 

Thank you

Kind Regards

I agree with what everyone else has said, but why are you applying for writing jobs (one of the most oversubscribed categories on this platform) when your skills are print and illustration?

You have a good portfolio, whereas you have nothing as a writer. As such, a client will assume "inexperienced" and take advantage. My advice is not to continue in any way with the client you have described and consider it a bullet dodged. 

(As an aside - your photo appears to be one of those generically available pics. If Upwork ever asks you to verify your existence, you may have to put a photo of the real you.) 

I'm working at the moment as both. Freelance print designer and writer. That is why I apply to both jobs. Thank you for your advice. I appreciate it. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths