cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Company requires Upwork sign a W9

Alex M Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
1 of 5

I work for a large company that manages hundreds of local small businesses and we will be utilizing freelancer services for the small businesses websites. In order for my company to bill the individual small businesses for the freelance work my company needs a signed W9 from Upwork so that Upwork can be considered a vender of our company. Where can I obtain a signed W9 from Upwork?

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
2 of 5

Someone may come along to correct me on this, but Upwork would not be considered a vendor, the freelancers you hire would.

As freelancers, we have our tax information verified before we can work on the platform. Upwork does not file our taxes, we do.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
3 of 5

Upwork is not a vendor, as it receives no money from your company. The freelancer is the vendor.

Alex M Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
4 of 5

Thanks! So Upwork is technically not the Vendor though Upwork requires all freelancers on their platform to sign a W9? Can anyone provide an example on how their company has paid freelancers when their company required them to have a signed W9 to pay invoices? 

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 5

Hi Alex,

Please note that Upwork is an online marketplace, through which users can connect to enter directly into service relationships. Through the marketplace, clients directly engage and pay freelancers to perform services. Clients do not pay funds to Upwork, instead, Upwork's affiliate, Upwork Escrow Inc., acts as an escrow agent and passes funds from the client to the freelancer. Since you don't pay the funds to Upwork, we don't believe a W-9 is necessary.

You can find more information here.

~ Valeria
Upwork