🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: My JSS at 50%?
Page options
hassan_aitzaz
Community Member

My JSS at 50%?

I want to ask the same thing that i asked before but got no reply!

I started to work with up-work in January, My 1-st Client on the first day of work after like an hou...  I littreally have sent out 40 proposals but no luck and it makes me feel like crap 🙂 Thank you up-work for being so supportive. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

IMO, It's really strange that you already have JSS, you only have 4 jobs, 3 visible (1 great, 2 not feedback given), and 1 no visible, possible "in progress" with no earning yet or a closed contract without money exchange.

I thought a freelancer gets his/her JSS score after 5 or more contracts with 5 or more different clients, apparently, it may not be the case in this scenario. If I'm wrong, by all means, correct me!

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
petra_r
Community Member

To be honest I am not sure what you wanted anyone to say? (Seems everyone else felt the same, which is why you had no responses.)

All you can do is complete some contracts successfully with great outcomes.

Yes, that means you have to win them first which is harder with a poor JSS but not impossible.

Sorry, but that's all there is to be said.

''Albert Einstein'' days, people showed who they are and it was easy to tell but these days it's hard to tell becaue people don't show who they are and again not my fault.

Thank you for you'r help and i understand it's a ''Monopoly'':)

Thank you

Albert Einstein, must have been in better Era / among the people who showed, who they were and it was easy to tell for him but these days it's hard to tell becaue people don't show who they are, but thank you for you'r help and i understand it's a ''Monopoly'':)

Thank you

IMO, It's really strange that you already have JSS, you only have 4 jobs, 3 visible (1 great, 2 not feedback given), and 1 no visible, possible "in progress" with no earning yet or a closed contract without money exchange.

I thought a freelancer gets his/her JSS score after 5 or more contracts with 5 or more different clients, apparently, it may not be the case in this scenario. If I'm wrong, by all means, correct me!

I agree with Elba. Has something changed as far as getting a JSS is concerned?  This question is aimed at the mods, who no doubt have the right  answer. 

Hi Elba, 

Thank you for highlighting some details. Is there something that can be done about it? Someone can look in to details on ''what or how'' and if it can be fixed? Am just asking because i'm hoping for some miracle / tough luck, if not.

Click here: My Stats

What does Clients who would recommend you says?

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

The first two clients never left any feed back + one of them just went missing on the 1-st day.

The only client that i worked for left me feed back:

Hassan, "Jay" is a workhorse. He can pound through sales calls day in and day out and schedule appointments like there's no tomorrow. If you need someone to call lots of leads in a limited amount of time, look no further!

(Clients who would recommend you) has -----blank. 

Hello Hassan,

I'm sorry to hear that. I just checked your account and I can see that you have a total of 7 contracts (all closed) with different clients. Some of your contracts have no earnings that's why they are not displayed in your work history and feedback list. There are also contracts without feedback. Please read this article to help you know the factors that can affect your JSS. Thank you!

Untitled

• No Feedback – Contracts with no client feedback, including ones you ended or left open and inactive, do not affect your score unless you have excessive contracts with no feedback.

@Hassan A wrote:

Thank you, in that case; how can it be fixed or not? 

Hassan,

There's nothing to be fixed, you already have 7 closed contracts with different clients, see Ryan's response (in your profile this is not visible).  Every contract weight so heavily because you have a few.

@Hassan A wrote:
  • No Feedback – Contracts with no client feedback, including ones you ended or left open and inactive, do not affect your score unless you have excessive contracts with no feedback.

In the future avoid this:

1.- Close the contract yourself, let the client do that (at least you have 2 out of 7)

2.- Contracts with no money exchange (at least you have 4 out of 7)

So your outcome is not good, only 1 contract with good feedback out of 7.

In that case as you mentioned before '' he/she must have 5 contracts'' to start getting JSS score. Why did i not get this JSS when i had 5 contracts already? Why it just appeared after 7? 

@Hassan A wrote:

In that case as you mentioned before '' he/she must have 5 contracts'' to start getting JSS score. Why did i not get this JSS when i had 5 contracts already? Why it just appeared after 7? 

Remember JSS only updates every 2 weeks, the last update was June 11 (at least for me), so I guess that's why, but remember 1 out of 5 is even worse, it could be lower than this.

Last updated Jun 10 for me and before that i was working till May, for straigh 4 months=16 weeks. If that tracker tracked everything till Jun 10 than why rest of weeks are not counted towards: Top Rated Eligible Weeks? I don't get this process but i had fun asking questions. Thank you

It is a ''Monopoly'', buyer wins / seller loses and that's how the rules are to be followed i guess. 🙂 

@Hassan A wrote:

no earnings.png

edit

I think you're not supposed to have that JSS visible yet, you're suppossed to be in between Rising Talent and JSS Score, but somehow JSS is showing,  see below, this profile in search shows "13% JSS" but in profile is not showing anything.Untitled.png

This profile has 5 jobs.

Thank you, in that case; how can it be fixed or not? 

re: "Thank you, in that case; how can it be fixed or not?"

Yes.

Your JSS can be fixed (or to use a more accurate term, improved) by:

- Studying JSS. Read about it in the Forum and Help section.

- Only applying for and accepting jobs you know you can do. A great job on.

- Using proactive strategies for making sure you do not have zero-pay jobs or contracts without feedback.

Remember: For most of us with high JSS, it is not an accident. It is not because we are smarter or holier or luckier than people with low JSS. The high JSS you see are typically a result of hard work on behalf of clients PLUS an understanding of how JSS works and conscientious efforts to do the things Upwork wants us to do in order to maintain high high levels of customer satisfaction and high JSS.

''Remember: For most of us with high JSS, it is not an accident. It is not because we are smarter or holier or luckier than people with low JSS. The high JSS you see are typically a result of hard work on behalf of clients PLUS an understanding of how JSS works and conscientious efforts to do the things Upwork wants us to do in order to maintain high high levels of customer satisfaction and high JSS.''

This is something else '' I hire you but fire you the next day because i found someone cheaper to do the same job'' Is it my fault? 

''I hire you but changed my mind and need to wait bit more till am more clear about this process'' Is it freelancers fault? 

''I hired you but realized i dont have a way to make payment or don't have enough money in my account and am suppose to be paid in 2 weeks'' Is it freelancers fault?

We as freelancers get scanned for everything but do up-work has any way of screening clients to find out how lagit they are or they can do as they please because they are paying?

you talking about hard work? Mate i live in Pakistan and sell everone in english yet i speak 4 languages. I pick up the phone to talk, not hang up. I make 35 manul dials an hour and not most freelancers like that or can do that. I see alot of these freelancers not working for Digital-marketing companies doing appointment setting / Sales and yet i can work for them with ease. Am going to make a video on how system works and will let people decide, if they think it's true or not.  

you littereally teaching me on how to say ''yes'' instead of ''yo'' or say ''alright'' intead of ''aight''  but Thank you.

Hassan, I am not sure what you mean by "fair."

Everybody here on Upwork lives by the same rules, deals with the same pool of clients, and is subjected to the same JSS calculations.

I have shared my strategies for success with JSS in hundreds of posts in the Forum. So has Petra and dozens of other Forum participants. We have not kept these things a secret.

I am sorry that you are frustrated by your current JSS. But I will not retract my statement that you can raise your score. I think you have what it takes to be a 100% JSS freelancer. But you need to learn how JSS works and use some of the techniques we have shared.

Your the best Mr: Preston, I love your reply. I hope you know why i said that! Thank you so much, i mean it. your are a true ''Community Guru''. I already tried so many times to get a job with that score but nothing yet and am not stopping either. Will make it there one day and will retain it.

@Hassan A wrote:

Your the best Mr: Preston, I love your reply. I hope you know why i said that! Thank you so much, i mean it. your are a true ''Community Guru''. I already tried so many times to get a job with that score but nothing yet and am not stopping either. Will make it there one day and will retain it.

Hassan, nobody said it's going to be easy, is not, at all, you certainly can and will, you just have to work harder and be patient. You have a fabulous feedback from an Enterprises Client, how jealous I am, clients will see that, give it time. And when you have your New and Improved JSS, please come back and let us know.

Hi Hassan. You're not the first freelancer to lose JSS because a client cancelled a job before you could clock up any time. You've been particularly unlucky in that it's happened to you several times in your first few jobs.

I admire your determination to continue and overcome this setback. For the future, there are two ways you can avoid this problem. First, if possible, don't accept a job until you're able to begin work immediately. Second, be more selective in your choice of clients. Interviews work both ways. You should be interviewing your client at the same time as they're interviewing you. If you're not confident that they'll be a good client (and good for your JSS) don't accept the job.

P.S. There's another potential Upwork pitfall you'll need to be aware of. Given the type of work you do, which apparently involves a lot of time on the phone, you may not be maintaining a high enough keyboard/mouse activity level to qualify for payment protection on hourly jobs. If that's the case, unscrupulous clients can refuse to pay for hours you've worked. That's another reason to be careful in your choice of clients.

I feel like this issue of contracts that end without earnings or feedback affecting your JSS so destructively is a huge downside risk for  new freelancers. I'm still climbing out of that 'hole' in my job success score and I had no idea about this phenomenon (although yes, it's clearly specified in the JSS documentation.)

Seems like because of this risk of unexpected behavior from clients it would be best to not pursue hourly contracts at all until you have 20 or so jobs under your belt.

re: "Seems like because of this risk of unexpected behavior from clients it would be best to not pursue hourly contracts at all until you have 20 or so jobs under your belt."

If you are worried about contracts closing without feedback, then hourly contracts are safer than fixed-price contracts.

If you have an hourly contract, then as long as you continue working on the client's behalf every week, the client will be billed. They will know they are being billed. When they don't want you to do any more work, then they can close the contract, and that means they won't be billed any more.

If you have a fixed-price contract, and you have already submitted all the work for which milestones have been created, then if a client disappears, there is no way to earn more money, and no way for the client to be billed for continued work. So the contract could still be open, even though it is inactive.

If the hourly client is non-communicative for a time, but you haven't finished all the work she asked you to do, then you can continue working, and continue getting paid.

If a fixed-price contract is still open, and you haven't finished all the work you were asked to do, you really can't continue working unless the client is available to set up new milestones or contracts.

Thanks for the information Preston. I'm not sure about what kind of contracts Hassan had, but what happened in my case is that I started an hourly contract (when I was slammed with work, so it's my fault too--I should have just said I'm too busy to take on this job when the client messaged me) and 2 days later when I said I'm looking into it, the client replied saying they're gonna have to end the contract because the work is urgent.

So there were no earnings (and I assume no feedback), and my score got destroyed--I went from Top Rated to like 70%. Right now I'm back to 82% so I'm managing to climb out of the low score but it seems disproportionate for that single interaction to have affected my score so strongly. I figure it's just math though i.e. if you have 4 jobs and then the fifth closes with  'no earnings and no feedback' then--besides the other factors calculated in the JSS--you go from 4/4 to 4/5.

Ironically it seems the site they wanted to get fixed urgently is still in 'coming soon' mode months later, but I guess that's neither here nor there.

9d9bee91
Community Member

Hi my jss also 50% very low but i got 5 star reviews from 2 clients with no negative feedback. The only problem is that i got 3 contracts closed by 3 clients as after i delivered them the work they closed the contract without paying me anything so maybe they put negative public reviews so my jss score falls drastically.How to avoid this situation as i get no clients now. Should I create a new fresh account now and close this account or what i can do ?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths