🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » My bids aren't being received and I'm not rec...
Page options
dannelmarchese
Community Member

My bids aren't being received and I'm not receiving invitations to jobs

When none of my 6 proposals were answered at all, I had a sneaking suspicion that my proposals were being blocked. A friend of mine created a job, I applied to it, and my application mysteriously never showed up for them. Then, I had them invite me to the job. The invitation never showed up for me. I need to know if this is being done deliberately for some reason so I don't waste hours writing proposals or if this is just some kind of bug. It was a simple little short story proofreading task and nothing I'm not qualified to work on.

If proposals are thrown away without clients ever seeing them and we aren't told, PLUS, if invitations are deliberately blocked to a new person in favor of getting experienced folks some work, then I think that's absolutely ridiculous. How am I supposed to get any jobs under these circumstances?

10 REPLIES 10
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Dannel,

Our team will check this from our end and contact you directly via ticket to assist you further, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

~ Goran
Upwork

@Goran V wrote:

Hi Dannel,

Our team will check this from our end and contact you directly via ticket to assist you further, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Hello Goran, why the secrecy? There is no private information here. Can we also please learn the reasons and understand the system or presence of an error? Or shall we also find friends to post jobs and invite us to be able to open a ticket and improve our knowledge?

Hi Baris,

There currently is no known issue or bug affecting proposals not being being seen by the client. As such, when a detailed scenario is presented such as what the OP stated here, we do want to investigate further to ensure that there isn't an issue affecting the OP's account. However if we do learn of a problem with proposals not being seen which is not isolated we will update the thread further.

~Nina

Thank you Nina, I'd be happy to be enlightened.

Over the past month, I’ve been encountering pretty much the same problem the OP reported.  Since I’ve worked on some Upwork Enterprise contracts in the past, I contacted someone I know who works for Upwork Enterprise itself.  She instructed me to post a reply here.

My client onboarding involves sending an initial proposal, doing a consultation, and preparing a detailed quote.  It’s probably a more labor-intensive process per client than the OP’s process. 

At the end of March, I had 6 leads here who had all reached at least the consultation stage.  Here’s what happened:

• One hired me, but I had to email the quote.  (Shortly after we started, he had to delay his project due to changing priorities.)
  • One wasn’t a good fit for me and hired someone else.  I didn’t send a quote.
  • One had to delay his project due to changing priorities.  I had already sent him a quote.
  • The others went completely unresponsive: one after a consultation, one after a second interview, and one after a quote.  (I was the only candidate for one of these jobs, which was for a local client and invite-only.) 

Two or three of these projects would have been enough to fully book me for April into May.  But instead of billing over 160 hours for the month, I billed more like 10.  So this has already cost me about a full month’s revenue and counting.

I have actively freelanced here for close to 2.5 years.  I’m used to isolated cases of clients going dark, but every client going dark at the same time has never happened to me before this.  I knew something was wrong on the Upwork platform side when I went through my old messages during the day on a weekday and all but 3 clients out of over 100 were listed as offline.  However, I am still able to use Messages to chat with a longtime client.

The OP seems new here.  I’m experiencing this from the opposite angle.  I’ve been Top Rated for almost 2 years and still receive invitations to jobs almost every day.  Some clients here read my profile and rewrite their job descriptions in response!

But something is going on here that is keeping me from closing deals.  If I’m going to continue freelancing full-time, either this needs to be resolved, or I need to stop wasting so much of my lead generation effort on this platform (despite my great reputation and continued positive reviews). 

I’ve seen some other Upworkers both here and on Reddit saying that their messages are not reaching their clients.  Technically, I think it’s either that, or the clients are not getting notified to check their messages.

What is going on here, and when can I expect it to be resolved?  It doesn’t make any sense for me to keep writing proposals if the clients are not going to respond, even if they’re fine with my rate.

I'm sorry to hear that you haven't been able to land as many contracts recently, David. Upwork can't guarantee that freelancers gets interviewed or hired for jobs they apply to. That decision is for clients to make and many freelancers notice that some periods are slower than others.

I'm not aware of any issues with Messages notifications at the moment. However, if you have any evidence of notifications for specific messages not being delivered, please feel free to send a support ticket with more details such as the name of the client, link to the Messages room and the date when the message was sent. 

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork

I've opened a support ticket and sent that evidence.

colettelewis
Community Member

@Dannel M wrote:

When none of my 6 proposals were answered at all, I had a sneaking suspicion that my proposals were being blocked. A friend of mine created a job, I applied to it, and my application mysteriously never showed up for them. Then, I had them invite me to the job. The invitation never showed up for me. I need to know if this is being done deliberately for some reason so I don't waste hours writing proposals or if this is just some kind of bug. It was a simple little short story proofreading task and nothing I'm not qualified to work on.

If proposals are thrown away without clients ever seeing them and we aren't told, PLUS, if invitations are deliberately blocked to a new person in favor of getting experienced folks some work, then I think that's absolutely ridiculous. How am I supposed to get any jobs under these circumstances?

Six proposals are nothing when starting on Upwork, no matter how well qualified you are for the job.

What you and your friend did is against Upwork's ToS, and could get both your accounts suspended. I just hope that your friend either assigned the job advertised or cancelled it. If he cancelled it, then the unsuspecting freelancers who applied will at least get their connects back, if not, they wasted valuable connects and time creating a proposal for a fraudulently created job.

Yeah, it's not a frauduelently created job because he's actually going to hire someone for it, and nobody else bid on it so nobody lost any connects. The only one who's "wasting valuable connects" is me as I apply for jobs that aren't receiving my application. I never said 6 was a big deal, but if connects are valuable like you say, then certainly it's a big deal that I wasted 12 with no chance of getting the job. 

omnimiratus
Community Member

Well I'm also having that suspicion sometimes, but can't know for sure as majority of clients don't really close the job or respond to you anyway, so you're almost always clueless.

I wish there was a way to understand this, something indicating that our proposal has been "seen" (not necessarily read), so that we can be sure that we're not facing a bug that's actually costed us time spent on proposal, connects and a client.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths