cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My city is not available to choose from.

Jeff S Member Since: Aug 4, 2019
11 of 14

I appreciate your prompt replies! 

It is odd, though, that some of you are suggesting you know better than the US Postal Service, the Federal and State governments, Google Maps, and 2.6 million people as regards our own mailing addresses. I sincerely think you would be doing the Upwork Community a service to make this small correction to your database.

Maybe you will find the following interesting, maybe not. 

I am aware, having lived in Brooklyn for 25 years, and having written numerous articles about Brooklyn for local publications, of the history of Brooklyn as an independent city and as a constituent borough of New York City. The reason we don't put New York in our addresses is that Manhattan, Queens and Brooklyn share some of the same street names and, therefore street addresses. Thus, if you look at any address in Brooklyn, it will say Brooklyn and not New York City (or Kings County).

In fact, for this reason, the USPS recognizes several "cities" within New York City, all of which are used in our official addresses in government, business, and national and international correspondence:

• New York (covers Manhattan and the Bronx)

• Staten Island

• Brooklyn

• Long Island City (most of the original Town of Newtown in Queens)

• Flushing (includes all of the original Town of Flushing and parts of the Town of Newtown in Queens and also part of what was Town of Bushwick in Brooklyn)

• Jamaica (most of the original Town of Jamaica in Queens and a small area in what was the East New York section of the Town of New Lots in Brooklyn)

• Far Rockaway (in Queens)

If you're curious how we got to this point, Walter Greenspan explains it well:

Communities in Queens that once were villages or hamlets in the city and towns (the City of Long Island City, the Town of Newtown, the Town of Flushing, the Town of Jamaica and the Rockaway peninsula of the Town of Hempstead) that existed when the western-third of Queens County was annexed by New York City use the names of postal stations (branches of post offices) that bear the name of the pre-existing village or hamlet and as long as the address on the envelope includes the correct ZIP Code, the USPS does not strenuously object to using the name of the postal station (branch) of the post office that serves a particular area.

However, because the City of Brooklyn had already annexed all the other municipalities in Kings County (at one point there was 2 cities and 7 towns in Kings County) prior to its annexation by New York City, what once had been villages or hamlets had already lost the habit of using these village or hamlet names in their mailing address, even though the postal stations of the "Brooklyn, NY" post office still carry many of these names.

All this being said, I'm sure if you send mail to me at Kings County it will get to me. But in this computer age, you will be using an address that, for example, differs from the address saved in my tax forms, bank records, etc. Upwork's decision to be different from literally every other company in the world on this issue may cause problems which you have not anticipated. 

Thanks again for responding. I'll leave it at this so you don't have to hear any more about the history of Brooklyn!

Nadine T Member Since: Sep 13, 2019
12 of 14

Hello Avery, I am in Switzerland and for my location, my tax-legal town name is Chesières. Can you please tell me how to alter my location to reflect my legal address?

Thank you,

Nadine R.

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
13 of 14

Hi Nadine,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your address. Thank you.

Untitled
Hannah J Member Since: Jan 9, 2020
14 of 14

I doubt anyone else in the US/the world knows what Kings County is whereas Brooklyn is a global brand at this point. It's not ideal for freelancer's to have that connection removed from our personal brand.

Why make anyone go through the extra step of having to look on a map? 

Please fix this!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS