🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » My client account
Page options
95d71465
Community Member

My client account

Hello Upwork team,

I am currently facing a difficult situation. I was working for a client on an hourly basis and completed the work as per the agreement. However, after I submitted the work, I learned that my client's account has been suspended. I am now unsure of how to receive payment for the completed work. Can you please guide me on what steps I should take in this situation? Thank you.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
iwan-spillebeen
Community Member

Did you record the hours using the UpWork app? 

For all hourly contracts you need to use the UpWork app to record the work that you are doing, that enables UpWork to track your time spend as well as inactive time spend.  Those contracts can be under UpWork payment protection, provided the time recorded meets the criteria and provided the client was verfied, and if the client account gets suspended you will receive payment from UpWork for active work recorded until the suspension.

The app / website notifies you when a client is suspended and the contract is removed from the app at that time.  Any work performed outside of the app or after the client was suspended is at your own risk and not under any guarantees from UpWork.  If the hours worked do not fall under payment protection then UpWork will issue a credit note for the recorded hours (to avoid liability) and it becomes your sole responsibility to receive the payment.

The only way to do so inside of the UpWork ecosystem is for you to request the client to issue a bonus equal to the hours worked which can then be settled through UpWork once the contract is reinstated or to request a direct payment to your account from the client.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
iwan-spillebeen
Community Member

Did you record the hours using the UpWork app? 

For all hourly contracts you need to use the UpWork app to record the work that you are doing, that enables UpWork to track your time spend as well as inactive time spend.  Those contracts can be under UpWork payment protection, provided the time recorded meets the criteria and provided the client was verfied, and if the client account gets suspended you will receive payment from UpWork for active work recorded until the suspension.

The app / website notifies you when a client is suspended and the contract is removed from the app at that time.  Any work performed outside of the app or after the client was suspended is at your own risk and not under any guarantees from UpWork.  If the hours worked do not fall under payment protection then UpWork will issue a credit note for the recorded hours (to avoid liability) and it becomes your sole responsibility to receive the payment.

The only way to do so inside of the UpWork ecosystem is for you to request the client to issue a bonus equal to the hours worked which can then be settled through UpWork once the contract is reinstated or to request a direct payment to your account from the client.

No sir i didn't record the hours through app. It's was my first hourly contract order. If I ask to my client to convert the hourly contract into fix contract. Can the issue of my payment will be solved?

Here my question is that why upwork suspend the client account?

Upwork won't tell you why your client's account was suspended for privacy reasons.

Hello Sophie . Can you suggest me solution what should I do now. 

Like Iwan S already mentionned, you could ask for a bonus equal to the value of your work to resolve this particular situation.

But to avoid other problems with the fact you are not familiar with how Upwork works, you need to stop sending proposals or accepting offers and learn how things work by reading the main article at the top of this post Solved: Re: To all freelancers looking for help - Page 28 - Upwork Community and click on every link in the article.

In short, yes if you client is willing to create a fixed contract for this and then you submit the work to complete the milestone you could be paid that way, however it is much easier to request them to pay it as a bonus as they don't need to launch a new contract for this.

I have already submitted the work to my client, but unfortunately their account got suspended after the submission. I did not record my hours through the Upwork app. Nonetheless, I appreciate your valuable suggestions, Lwan, and I hope they will be helpful. Thank you and wish me best of luck.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths