🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: My client is causing me a lot of stress -...
Page options
ally0505
Community Member

My client is causing me a lot of stress - need advice please

Hello Everyone,

I have an on-going project at the moment which is causing me a lot of stress and I getting to breaking point so wanted to ask for your advice before deciding what to do...

This job is a packaging design for a product and it is a fixed price of $20.00 

They sent me the image of a current packaging design that they want me to make it similar to for example: colours, layout etc. They said they have the dimensions and content to go on the packaging.

I have asked for the dimensions and content a LOT OF TIMES but they have not sent it to me. They just reply to my messages as if they haven't read what I have sent them. They kept stressing to me and only messaging me in the late evenings even though they are in the UK like me. They need the job done as soon as possible. I asked for the content and dimensions again and again and they didn't message me untill a few days later, on a Sunday evening with that info. They said back was that they need it done ASAP.

So without the content but with the dimensions I worked untill 1am in the Sunday evening to design a concept extremely similar to what they asked for in the image they sent me. I explained it's difficult designing packaging for a product if I don't know what they want to be put on it! 

I also mentioned to them that I would be going away to London for a meeting for two days and will be away from my studio during that time. I asked if that would be a problem with their shecdule however they did not answer my question or even mention anthing related about me going away. Because it all fairness, if me going away would not have worked for them, I would have been happy to pass the project on to someone else for them.

They asked for changes when I went away to London, I kindly repeated myself and explained that I away away from my studio at the moment but will be able to do that for them as soon as I get back (2 days time). They messaged me again asking: When I would you get an opportunity to work on the packaging? I explained when I get back. Did you notice the repeating cycle here?

Today (just got back from London) I worked on it further for them making the changes they asked me to do when I was away and unable to do them. They also asked for some of my edited images which i sent to them. I sent them two amended versions of what they specifically asked for and just now they have sent me 11 (yes eleven just counted) images of different designs that they have made up that go against what the changed they asked me to do. They said they attached 'random variations' to give me an idea of what they are going for. I am getting really frustrated now as my trip in London was ruined by the constant harrassment of there messages when I explained I was going away.

They ar enow asking for more of my edited images so I assume they can make more designs themselves using the work I have done.

I am sorry for the long post but want to explain fully. I am very very frustrated and at the point where I want to close the contract. It's only $20 and I have put so much hard work into this and they seem to be messing me around. I have not recieved any money yet.

I have asked them to give me a call so we can communicate more effectively.

Please give me some advice below!!! Sorry for any typos I'm in a rush to get some help!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Do what's right for your sanity - don't let a concern about your JSS guide your actions at this point.

Use the green "Submit" button on the project page to submit your work to the client now!

That starts the 14-day clock for them to request reasonable changes before the money is automatically credited to you by Upwork.

If they ask for/demand changes beyond the original scope of what they were willing to pay $20 for, tell them further changes will need to be done based on your agreement to further payments to you. And don't begin that additional hour until a) they have released to you the money already in escrow and b) they have created at least one more milestone amenable to you and c) Upwork tells you that new milestone is fully funded.

At the very least, do not do any further work for this client until they answer your questions. You're giving them a lot of free work and they are going to keep you running in circles for who knows how long.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
magdalenaostafe
Community Member

Hi Alice,

Have you asked the client for payment after you submitted the work? Have you told them that you would need to get paid extra for additional revisions?

I technically haven't submitted the work as it is not finished because I do not have the content. 

I shall mention that I need to be paid for additional revisions.

Thank you!

Do what's right for your sanity - don't let a concern about your JSS guide your actions at this point.

Use the green "Submit" button on the project page to submit your work to the client now!

That starts the 14-day clock for them to request reasonable changes before the money is automatically credited to you by Upwork.

If they ask for/demand changes beyond the original scope of what they were willing to pay $20 for, tell them further changes will need to be done based on your agreement to further payments to you. And don't begin that additional hour until a) they have released to you the money already in escrow and b) they have created at least one more milestone amenable to you and c) Upwork tells you that new milestone is fully funded.

At the very least, do not do any further work for this client until they answer your questions. You're giving them a lot of free work and they are going to keep you running in circles for who knows how long.

Will L wrote:

.... as long as she lets them 😉

Thank you so much

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths