🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » My client wanted to contact me Via Skype for ...
Page options
rana-faizan
Community Member

My client wanted to contact me Via Skype for a video call.

Client wanted to interview me outside upwork. He shared a skpe email. I reported this message and suggested to use upwork feature.  I am new to upwork and my profile got some ratings after struggling hard. I am curious about my account. Am I at safe side ?.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nope, although Skype is trash and I would wonder if the client has very bad taste in software.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
lysis10
Community Member

Rana F wrote:

Client wanted interview me outside upwork. He shared a skpe email. I reported this message and suggested to use upwork feature.  I am new to upwork and profile some got started getting ratings. I am curious about my account. Am I at safe side.

what? your account is at least 2 years old.

Yeah...I left using it after 1 project. Now I resumed the working as a full time freelancer.

I guess you refunded that 1 project.

Anyway, using skype is not violating ToS, if that's your question.

sharing skype ID for calling at upwork won't be an issue ?

Nope, although Skype is trash and I would wonder if the client has very bad taste in software.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your conerns.

Although Jennifer may not love Skype...

Skype DOES work.

It IS okay to communicate with clients via Skype.

And the audio/video call tool built into the Upwork messenger tool almost never works.

So IF YOU WORK FOR UPWORK and your goal is to test the Upwork messenger tools' audio/video call tool, then you SHOULD use it.

But if you are not an Upwork employee, and your goal is to earn money from a client, then use Skype.

I see I am not alone, I've tried UpWork's calling features numerous times with no luck.  And clients seem to be aware of this often opting for outside tools such as Skype.  Is UpWork aware of this issue?  Fixing the basic calling feature seems like a no brainer.  Last time I tried the calling feature was probably a month ago.  Clients don't even try to use it anymore.

Hi Rasheen and Rana, 

Could you please submit a ticket to Customer Support with more details about what features do not work correctly for you? We will follow up and resolve the issues as soon as possible.

Sorry about the inconvenience.

~ Riri

Jennifer M wrote:

Oh dear. I hope clients haven't thought that I have bad taste when I've suggested using Skype!  😉

What would you recommend instead?

re: "Could you please submit a ticket to Customer Support with more details about what features do not work correctly for you? We will follow up and resolve the issues as soon as possible."

That's hilarious.

Riri: Absolutely no disrespect meant to you or any Forum moderators, but the problems with the Upwork Message tool's audio- and video-conferencing tool go way beyond a customer support ticket. There is no possibility of any "follow up" or "resolve the issues as soon as possible" associated with this.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths