🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: My company needs W9 from Upwork for the m...
Page options
cbb6bcb0
Community Member

My company needs W9 from Upwork for the money we have paid to Upwork

Please read below and escalate my ticket to someone that can provide me with your W9.

Upwork is a vendor and I am paying Upwork for services. Therefore I need Upwork's W-9 form, formally titled “Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification.

---
This is direct from the IRS website......

A vendor will give you his taxpayer identification number, address and business name, and will certify he is not subject to backup withholding when he sends you a W-9 form, formally titled “Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification."

The Internal Revenue Service requires that you obtain W-9 forms when you make inventory and service purchases from a vendor to create a paper trail that allows the agency to catch vendors who do not report income and to prevent you from claiming illegitimate vendor expenses.

The IRS requires that you obtain a W-9 from every vendor from whom you purchase $600 in labor and services or $5,000 in direct sales, but you can request W-9s from vendors for smaller purchases.
---

My company can not claim a legitimate vendor expenses for the money we have paid Upwork without a W9.

Please send me your W9 asap or my company will not be using Upwork in the future.

I have already sumbitted an email and they refuse to send me Upwork's W9. At this point, this is an urgent matter. I have attched the exact form that I need. So please supply me with your W9.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

144 REPLIES 144
cylver1z
Community Member

Hello Sherry,

I just checked your account and I could see that you have an open ticket regarding this. I just made a follow-up on your ticket. One of our representatives will reach out to you shortly. Thank you.

Untitled

Hi,

We also need a W9 From Upwork to determine if we need to issue a 1099 (i'm assuming not). How do we get a W9 from Upwork for this?

Thanks in advance.

Gavin

Hello Gavin,

I have escalated your concern. Our team representative will reach out to you shortly. Thank you!

Untitled

I also need a W-9 form from Upwork

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Dori,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with your request. 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
13ca8beb
Community Member

Hi Bojan,

How do I open a support ticket? I need a W-9 from Upwork. 

Thank you,

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Someone from our team will reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you further.

~Andrea
Upwork

We also require a W9 from Upwork. 

Thanks 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Greg, and Sherry, 

Please note that Upwork is an online marketplace, through which users can connect to enter directly into service relationships. Through the marketplace, clients directly engage and pay freelancers to perform services. Upwork acts as an escrow agent and passes funds from the client to the freelancer. That's why we don't believe a W-9 is necessary.

Upwork provides 1099-Ks if appropriate to freelancers if certain conditions are met. More information is available here.

I will request a member of the Customer Support team to reach out to you both to assist you with your request.

~ Avery
Upwork

Actually, UpWork charges a fee for services, so it should provide a W-9.

38f7ec23
Community Member

We need a w9 as well please! 

Hi Douglas,

Thanks for reaching out to us. One of our team members already reached out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi, 

I'm just wondering what to do. I've used upwork for years, and I just pulled a money a couple of days ago. It now says my bank account is inactive. I've filled out tax information, so I don't know what the problem is. Can you help me with this? 

Hi Kerilee, 

It looks like this issue has already been sorted out with assistance of our phone support. If you have any additional questions, feel free to follow up on the support ticket that was created here
Thanks!

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hello,

I will also need a W-9 form from Upwork for the engineers I will be hiring. 

Hi Corey,

It looks like you've already been assisted by one of our support agents. If you have further questions, you may send them directly to the same ticket. Thank you!

~ AJ
Upwork

Afternoon. I have the same need for a W9. Is it possible for someone from support to reach out

Hi Rich,

I'll have one of our team members reach out to you and set up a support ticket with your concern. You can check here or your email for updates. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork
69f7a5e6
Community Member

My organization also needs a W-9.

9a2a2f9f
Community Member

My company also needs a W9 for the work we hired through your service. Please have someone contact me ASAP.

Hi Elijah,

A member of our support team will reach out to you to assist you with your request. Thank you

~Nina

I need a 1099 as well I recently hired a freelancer on your site and paid him through you site. I need a copy of your company's w9 so that I can issue you a 1099. Please send it to me ASAP

Thanks 

Hello Moses,

We have escalated your concern. One of our representatives will reach out to you shortly. Thank you.

Untitled

Please e-mail the W9 to **Edited for Community Guidelines**

My company needs a W9 and proof of insurance from Upwork. Can I get one as well? 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kevin, 

I'll go ahead and look into this, and I'll get back to you once I have more information. 

~ Avery
Upwork
02bdcb80
Community Member

Thank you, Avery! 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kevin, 

The Customer Support Team has reached out to you through an email to assist you further regarding your concern. Feel free to update the same ticket thread if you need further help. 

~ Avery
Upwork

My company needs Upwork's W9, please provide. Thanks!

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jeannie,

We’ll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to address your request. 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
4835062a
Community Member

My company also needs a W9

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi David,

One of our agents will reach out to you directly via support ticket to address your request.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi Nina/UpWork,

The CFO and Controller of our small non-profit are insisting I need a W-9 from UpWork Escrow, Inc. I have tried to explain that it is not necessary, but they keep insisting. Please have someone contact me. Thank you.

Hi Eric,

A member of the team will reach out to you directly to help you with the W-9 request for your company. Thanks!

~Nina

Hello, My company needs a W9 from Upwork.  Can you email it to me?

Hi Eric,

We'll have a member of the team reach out to you directly to assist you with this request.

~Nina

Hi, can you also send me a W9? I also can't use upwork without one.

Best,

David

Hi David,

One of our agents will reach out to you and assist you further, thank you!

~ Goran
Upwork

Nina,

My company needs a W9 form as well, can I also be emailed?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths