🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: W9 Needed
Page options
f7ef1d2f
Community Member

UpWork's completed W9 form

Hello! Our company's finance team needs me to provide UpWork's W9 form before I can proceed paying any freelancers through UpWork. I wasn't able to find the completed W9 form anywhere. Can you please attach or provide UpWork's W9 form to me? 

Thanks! 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Dawn,

Please note that Upwork is an online marketplace where clients directly engage and pay freelancers to perform services. Clients do not pay the freelancer service fees to Upwork. Instead, Upwork's affiliate, Upwork Escrow Inc., acts as an escrow agent and passes funds from the client to the freelancer. In general, since the service fees are paid to your freelancer through the escrow service, we do not believe a W-9 is necessary.

If you have any further questions about your Upwork account, please contact our support team by:

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.
~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

164 REPLIES 164

Leo,

I've shared your concern with the team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork

Don't assume that you need this. I have hired over 100 freelancers on Upwork and have never needed W9 forms in order to comply with all applicable tax laws and regulations.

Read this:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/My-company-needs-W9-from-Upwork-for-the-money-we-have-...

Hi Preston, thank you! Then do I need a w9 from Upwork itself?

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211067918-Tax-Requirements

Upwork's "Tax Requirements" page in the Support section addresses this:

"One of the many advantages of paying your freelancers through Upwork is that you should not be required to file U.S. tax forms (W-2, 1099-MISC, 1099-NEC, etc.) for those freelancers...

If you classify your freelancer as an independent contractor, you don’t need to file a Form 1099-NEC or 1099-MISC for your payments to them through Upwork. While all freelancers submit their information for Form W-9 (U.S.-based) or Form W-8BEN (international) to Upwork, Upwork doesn’t send freelancers Form 1099-MISC or 1099-NEC, either. We do file a Form 1099-K when applicable (to freelancers who are U.S. Persons and receive over $20,000 with more than 200 transactions through Upwork)."

bfcfc3b5
Community Member

Hi, I am looking for a W9 form from Upwork. I will need this to issue a 1099 for my business. Thank you. 

Hi Cat,

Someone from our team will reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you further.

~Andrea
Upwork
business_web
Community Member

Can I get a W09 as well? Thanks, Darron

Hi Darron, 

A member of the Customer Support Team will reach out to you to assist you further with your concern. 

~ Avery
Upwork

can i get my w9 too?

Hi Jihan, 

Please know that we do not issue W9 to freelancers. However, we do issue a Form 1099-K as long as a freelancer meets the eligibility here. You can refer to the link for more information about reporting your income from Upwork. 

~ Avery
Upwork

My company also needs a w-9 ASAP.   Please contact me.  (I too am wondering why year after year you make your customers beg you for this information.  This is very unprofessional.   And fyi, your 'Tax Requirements' page does not address our need for W9s at all, you can stop sending people that link. ) 

Thanks 

Hi Robert, 

A member of the Customer Support Team will reach out to you to assist you further. 

As for your feedback about sending the link, could you please share more information about this so that we can look further? Are you referring to the link I added on my reply before your post? 

~ Avery
Upwork

My company needs the W9 from upwork as well. Has this been provided to anyone. Seems like a unresolved issue

I recevied one after much back and forth. 

Kevin, thanks for your response. Can you please let me know what you had to do to obtain it? This is ridiculous. It seems they think everything can be handled by a BOT.

I acquired the W9 after direct back and forth with an agent under a support ticket. 

Hi Fredrick,

Thanks for reaching out to us. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Aleksander, it should not take a support ticket. This should be automatically delivered to anyone who uses your third party payment system.
0129fe69
Community Member

Did you get a W9?  I need one as well and can't seem to get a response. 

Kristi 

Hi Kristi,

One of our team members will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

Yes, the support team sent me an email stating that they don't feel that we need the w-9. But they attached it in any case. I'm sure they will reach out to you as well.

Good day, 

I need a signed w9 from upwork. My CPA needs it for filing purposes. How can i receive the W9 for my records?

Hi Sergio,

Thanks for reaching out to us. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi, my university also needs a W9 or W8BEN for some work that I had done on Upwork. 

It seems like this is a hassle for everyone. We should be able to get one easily if we are paying for a service. 😕

Hi there,

I checked and it looks like one of our agents was able to assist you with your request. If you need further assistance please let us know.

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, we'll be sure to pass it on to the team,

~Andrea
Upwork
vabventures
Community Member

Hi, 

We need a W-9 from Upwork, so we can issue a 1099 for last year. 

Please provide ASAP. Thank you!

Hi Viktor,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to address your request.

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
968dd9c5
Community Member

Hi there - I'm looking for an UpWork W9, as well. Can you provide that? Thanks!

Hi Annie,

I have escalated your request to the team and they will reach out to you with more information via support ticket.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
679c1541
Community Member

Hi Andrew,

I've escalated your request to our team. One of our team members will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket

~ Joanne
Upwork
47e2ab61
Community Member

Hi Tiffany,

Someone from our team will reach out to you via support ticket to assist you further with your request.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
7f3a31b0
Community Member

Hello,

We also need a W9 for services that we're paying for.  Is this something you can help with?

Thanks!

Shirley

Hi Shirley,

I've requested the assistance of our team to help with your request. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket

~ Joanne
Upwork
1a4fc6f1
Community Member

I have just waded through 16 pages of people w the same issue as me and no answer. Where do I get the W-9 so we can send a 1099?
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Robert,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with your request. 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
5453b25e
Community Member

Hi,

I am also in need of a W9. How can I get this? 

Thanks!

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for reaching out to us, Joey.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to address your request. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths