🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: My company needs W9 from Upwork for the m...
Page options
f7ef1d2f
Community Member

UpWork's completed W9 form

Hello! Our company's finance team needs me to provide UpWork's W9 form before I can proceed paying any freelancers through UpWork. I wasn't able to find the completed W9 form anywhere. Can you please attach or provide UpWork's W9 form to me? 

Thanks! 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Dawn,

Please note that Upwork is an online marketplace where clients directly engage and pay freelancers to perform services. Clients do not pay the freelancer service fees to Upwork. Instead, Upwork's affiliate, Upwork Escrow Inc., acts as an escrow agent and passes funds from the client to the freelancer. In general, since the service fees are paid to your freelancer through the escrow service, we do not believe a W-9 is necessary.

If you have any further questions about your Upwork account, please contact our support team by:

1. Please visit Contact Support and click the ‘Chat with Upwork' button.
  2. Type a question or topic and select ‘Send’. The bot will find relevant Help articles for you.
  3. The chatbot will ask you to confirm if you need additional help. If you confirm that you need additional help, you will be asked to confirm the account type you need help with.
  4. From there, the support options available to you will be listed. Select either of the options to be able to contact the Upwork Support Team.
~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

164 REPLIES 164
3ad6acbb
Community Member

I was wondering if you guys could provide a W9. Our company needs it for tax purposes for the services we've purchased over the past year and into the current year. Please send this over as soon as you guys can. Thank you in advance.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Brian,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with your request. 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
3ad6acbb
Community Member

Thanks Bohan

I also need a W9 form. 

Hi Jonathan,

I shared your request and one of our team members already reached out via this support ticket to assist you further with the form.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

I need help with this as well. 

Hi Brenda,

I've shared your request with the team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket

~ Joanne
Upwork
Community Member

Hi Joanne,

My company also needs a w-9 for upwork. 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Amos,

We’ll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with your request. 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
2777e46a
Community Member

I also need a w9 as well

Hi Launcelot,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and will assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi, my company also needs a W9 from Upwork. Thank you. 

Hi Robert,

Our team will reach out to you via ticket and will assist you further with your form. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
438aeea5
Community Member

I also need a W9. I couldn't find where to start a support ticket.

Hi Peggy, 

I've escalated your concern to the team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
438aeea5
Community Member

Joanne,

I haven't had anyone reach out to me about my W9 request yet. Can I make a request somewhere?

Peggy

Hi Peggy,

I'm sorry for the delay. I have followed up with the team about your request. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
7e9c7144
Community Member

My company needs w9 form as well.  How can I get one?

Hi Kristen,

Someone from our team will reach out to you via support ticket in order to assist you further with your request.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
438aeea5
Community Member

Andrea,

I haven't had anyone reach out to me about my W9 request yet. Can I make a request somewhere?

Peggy

682ed4c2
Community Member

We also need a copy of your W9 form. 

Hi Gary,

I have requested the assistance of our team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
358a133f
Community Member

I also need a W9 from upwork. Is it available to download?

Hi Sheri,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to further assist you.

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
97a19f75
Community Member

I also need Upworks W-9 to account for payments made to Upwork please. 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for reaching out to us, Cody.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to address your request. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
75112ec6
Community Member

Hello, how do we get a w-9 please? 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, 

It looks like you've already been assisted through a support ticket. Please don't hesitate to come back here in the Community if there's anything our team can help you with, or if you want to interact with other talent and clients on Upwork. 

Enjoy the rest of your day!

~ Avery
Upwork

Hi, as a Community Manager, can you shed some insight as to why this has to be such a secret--the process, not the Tax I.D. I just want to tell clients what to do when they ask me this information so that it does not slow down the work. Also, as a freelancer, I want to know that Upwork is not giving them Freelancer's W-9. I would prefer an answer from Upwork. Thank you in advance.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jeri, 

Our team doesn't have access to this information, so we forward these requests to the Upwork Support team so they can review it further. If your client needs help with a similar request, they can contact the Upwork Support team directly.

And yes, I can assure you that we do not share the freelancer's W-9. 

~ Avery
Upwork
patrioticgames
Community Member

Hi! We also need an W-9 form from Upwork. Could you send it to me please.

Hi Anatolii,

Thank you for reaching out to us. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
72daa748
Community Member

I also need a w9 from Upwork. Thank you

Hi Kc,

Thank you for reaching out to us. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork

This is the Upwork support message I received this week on the same topic "I would like to advise that Upwork is an online marketplace where clients directly engage and pay freelancers to perform services. Clients do not pay the freelancer service fees to Upwork. Instead, Upwork's affiliate, Upwork Escrow Inc., acts as an escrow agent and passes funds from the client to the freelancer. In general, since the service fees are paid through the escrow service, obtaining our Tax ID is not necessary. We recommend to encourage your client to consult with a local tax professional about their tax concerns. If in case your client have further questions, please advise him to contact our support team directly and we will be happy to help." As a freelancer and also a client, I have had to deal with this situation many times. Some companies have their accounting systems set up like this and are forced but the fact is, this transaction is an expense and Upwork will not provide a Tax I.D. and a freelancer should never provide a W-9. Unfortunately, every now and then this discussion delays project start and freelancers cant solve the problem for the client. Upwork will always refer a client to support (https://support.upwork.com).

78ef0928
Community Member

My company also needs Upworks W9 form in order to process this expense paid to one of your freelancers. Can you please provide this?

02b26684
Community Member

I have the same need: Upwork's W9 as a vendor with our company. Can you please have someone contact me with this information? 

e1646f68
Community Member

Hi! I'm an agency as well that also needs a filled and signed w9 from Upwork. can you please provide Upwork's W9?

Than you

Hi Michael,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I checked and can confirm that you have a client profile. Please note that the Internal Revenue Service requires us to collect Tax Identification Numbers (SSN, EIN, or ITIN) for all U.S. taxpayers who receive payments on Upwork. That said, If you are a U.S person, that's when you need to file a Form W-9 with Upwork.

However, I can also see that your Tax Information has been completed. You may want to check this help article for more details about Tax Requirements for clients.

~ Arjay
Upwork
02b26684
Community Member

Hello, 

Can I please get a completed W-9 from Upwork so that I can add Upwork as a Vendor with our finance system? I have seen other requests for this, I look forward to receiving the form back from you. 

Thanks, 

Jeanette

Latest Articles
Learning Paths