cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My company needs W9 from Upwork for the money we have paid to Upwork

Casey M Member Since: Mar 12, 2019
21 of 94

My company is also requiring this.  Please reach out to me.

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
22 of 94

Hi Casey, 

A member of the Customer Support Team will reach out to you to assist you with your request.

-Avery
Untitled
Laura D Member Since: Apr 11, 2018
23 of 94

I also need a W9 from Upwork in order to make payments.  I'm hoping to get one as soon as possible as my accounting department won't move forward without one.  

Thank you,

Laura D'Alessandro

Community Guru
Nina K Member Since: Nov 29, 2017
24 of 94

Hi Laura,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to directly you to assist with this request.

~Nina
Chris H Member Since: Apr 25, 2018
25 of 94

Please also have someone reach out to me.  I cannot create an entry in our vendor system without a W9.  We may not need it from a legal or tax perspective - but I cant get my organization to change its process to create a vendor without a W9.

Community Guru
Nina K Member Since: Nov 29, 2017
26 of 94

Hi Chris,

I've requested that one of our agents reach out to you about this request and you'll be hearing from them very shortly. Thanks!

~Nina
Boyd W Member Since: May 16, 2018
27 of 94

We also need a W9. Could you please have someone contact me?

Thanks!

Community Guru
Ryan C Member Since: Feb 3, 2017
28 of 94

Hello Boyd,

Please note that Upwork is an online marketplace, through which users can connect to enter directly into service relationships. Through the marketplace, clients directly engage and pay freelancers to perform services. Upwork acts as an escrow agent and passes funds from the client to the freelancer. That's why we don't believe a W-9 is necessary. Upwork provides 1099-Ks if appropriate to freelancers if certain conditions are met. More information is available here.

Untitled
Serge S Member Since: Jul 26, 2018
29 of 94

The link mentioned above doesn't work ("The page you were looking for doesn't exist"). But anyway, there is a big gap here:

• if "Upwork provides 1099-Ks ... to freelancers" then it's Upwork which should take care about freelancers W-9 or W-8, and thus Clients need to have W-9 from Upwork (not from freelancers)
  • if Clients have to care about freelancers W-9 / W-8 themselves, then according to IRS policies, it's the Clients who have to provide 1099-Ks to their freelancers, and those freelancers will get 1009-Ks whith amounts they have never really received, because those amounts will include all fees and comissions charged by Upwork (even those charged from Clients, not from freelancers)... 

In all cases, Upwork charges "transaction fees" from Clients, which makes it a vendor to those Clients, so Clients need Upwork's W-9 form anyway. 

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
30 of 94

Hi Serge,

Sorry about that, we've fixed the link and it should now lead to the help article.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS