🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » My experience Using Upwork
Page options
7611f5cc
Community Member

My experience Using Upwork

Hi there everyone. 

I would just like to say as a Hirer, that this is the single worst experience I have ever had on the internet.

My " Upwork Assistant" is never online. 

The freelancer billed hours on end and did nothing but install a plugin.. that I could have done.

I had to spend a full day of my own time going over spelling errors and basic formatting.

Now I am $389 and NOTHING is even close to being done. That is for a SINGLE landing page.

I started asking around locally if anybody had used Upwork or heard of it, and got laughed at.

Two friends, one in Melbourne Australia, and another here in Christchurch New Zealand (both in I.T.)

told me I should never have even considered using this platform as it's a well-known scam.

I have been completely, and utterly ripped off of $389 and got NOTHING.

It's now all over youtube I might add.

4 REPLIES 4
yitwail
Community Member

Craig, unfortunately, your experience as a new Upwork client is not unique. And while this may not be any consolation to you, there are also numerous new freelancers who have lost 1000's of dollars to scammer clients. Having said that, the claim of your IT friends that "it's a well-known scam" is totally bogus. Check out this article I picked at random concerning Upwork's latest quarterly earnings release:
https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/11/06/5-metrics-behind-upworks-soaring-stock-price/ 
Smart money rarely drives up a scam stock, especially one that's been around awhile. If you disallowed manual time on the contract, and took the time to monitor what the freelancer was doing, you could have halted the contract at any time, and lost virtually no money. And if you hired a freelancer with little or no hiring history, then you chose to turn your back on 10's of thousands of experienced freelancers who would have done the job competently.

Hi Craig,

I'm very sorry to hear you had a bad experience with this freelancer. I checked and can see that your concern has been escalated and earlier this week one of our agents reached out via this ticket and provided information about the options available to you. 

Additionally, I see that you were able to file a dispute and would like to confirm that our dispute team will be reviewing and updating you as soon as possible in order to assist you further.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
abujat_moaj_bin_
Community Member

How can i start can u explain please

Hi Moaj Bin Anwar,

You may want to start by checking out this thread Getting Started on Upwork as well as our Resource Center; where you’ll find some excellent articles and learn more about Upwork. If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask them.

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths