🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » My first client is a possible scammer
Page options
ashleyfelk
Community Member

My first client is a possible scammer

I was offered my first job yesterday. I was sent interview questions via skype and was then offered the job. The client refuses to talk with me via upwork, so I am assuming this might be a scam. I have not sent any personal info nor have I been asked anything other than my name. The client's profile is verified, yet he still refuses to talk with me via upwork messaging. I am unable to contact support.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ashley,

Thank you for flagging this to us. I've checked and the job has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork ToS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Please check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I am unable to contact support."

You do not need to contact Customer Support.

You have not said anythiing that makes me think this client is a scammer. I have worked with plenty of good clients who only communicate via Skype.

This client does not appear to be breaking any Upwork rules.

If the client is offering you a job that you are interested in doing, and the client sends you an officail Upwork hire offer, then this is fine. You can accept the job and earn money through Upwork.

If you have questions, feel free to ask them here in the Forum. We will help you steer clear of any problems.

A key thing that you want to look for is this: After the client sends you an official Hire offer, and after you Accept it, you want to see that the contract is listed here:

Upwork.com -> My Jobs -> My Jobs

If you see the contract listed there, then you can work on the contract.

All proposals and job offrs have been sent outside of Upwork. When i asked to communicate via upwork, the client became angry so I had to report him.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ashley,

Thank you for flagging this to us. I've checked and the job has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork ToS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Please check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Thank you. This person keeps requesting information from me and is now getting angry

re: "This person keeps requesting information from me and is now getting angry"

You can block a person from contacting you using every online communication tool that I know about.

Block this person in Skype, the Upwork Messages tool, and any other tool that he is using.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths