🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » My name was apparently auto-updated in the sy...
Page options
ebizwarrior
Community Member

My name was apparently auto-updated in the system..

Was it really necessary for Upwork to change my name on my profile from The quite adequate "Ron Hokanson" (which is what I go by even professionally, and even when signing legal documents) to the unnecessarilly long "Ronald Warren Hokanson Jr"? 

I do NOT acknowledge my middle name..haven't for years.. even the IRS recognises me to verify my SSN without my middle initial... and "SR" has been deceased for over 20 years and I don't choose ot acknowledge "Jr" - and frankly, especially for these purposes, "Ron Hokanson" was plenty sufficient, there is no reason to change my screen name to "Ronald"..

This may sound silly and petty, but I can't help but find this arbitrary action on your part a bit patronizing and quite annoying.. Can you please put it back the way it was? 

I don't want an excessively over-complicated / pretentious sounding name also interfering with me getting jobs ... it's just wrong on many levels.. thank you 

6 REPLIES 6
joansands
Community Member

That name was probably on your passport or other ID that you submitted. I think it is a great name.

mtngigi
Community Member

Ronald Warren H wrote:

Was it really necessary for Upwork to change my name on my profile from The quite adequate "Ron Hokanson" (which is what I go by even professionally, and even when signing legal documents) to the unnecessarilly long "Ronald Warren Hokanson Jr"? 

I do NOT acknowledge my middle name..haven't for years.. even the IRS recognises me to verify my SSN without my middle initial... and "SR" has been deceased for over 20 years and I don't choose ot acknowledge "Jr" - and frankly, especially for these purposes, "Ron Hokanson" was plenty sufficient, there is no reason to change my screen name to "Ronald"..

This may sound silly and petty, but I can't help but find this arbitrary action on your part a bit patronizing and quite annoying.. Can you please put it back the way it was? 

I don't want an excessively over-complicated / pretentious sounding name also interfering with me getting jobs ... it's just wrong on many levels.. thank you 

I've flagged your post to get a mod's attention. The fact is, we are only allowed/supposed to have our last name initial only. So not sure how that happened. Hopefully you'll get some help soon. But just FYI, you can ask, but they don't always allow nicknames/shortened versions of our first names.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Ronald,

I'm checking with the team regarding the verification and the name change. Meanwhile, could you please go to your Settings> Contact Info and update the First Name and Last Name fields under Account?

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Upwork

Yes will do.. I just did not want to do that without one of you guys
telling me to because I didn't want to get accused of anything

I just updated my name per your advice - it says it's "pending moderator approval" whatever that means

Ron, 

You should be all set and your name has been updated. If you run into any further issues, please let me know and I'll be happy to check. Here in the Community your name still hasn't been updated but it will be once you log out and log back in.

~ Valeria
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths