🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » NY Qualified Attorney Living in UK
Page options
2d708937
Community Member

NY Qualified Attorney Living in UK

Hi! I am an attorney qualified in NY (USA) but I am currently stuck in the UK due to the virus and travel ban. I can only provide legal counsel to clients based in NY or with legal issues pertaining to NY Law. To verify my account I had to use my UK location as I have temporarily suspended my US phone number.

How should I proceed to ensure I only work with NY clients? I am concerned about unethical practice, can I ensure my profile is only visible for those located in NY?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Narmeen S wrote:

Hi! I am an attorney qualified in NY (USA) but I am currently stuck in the UK due to the virus and travel ban. I can only provide legal counsel to clients based in NY or with legal issues pertaining to NY Law. To verify my account I had to use my UK location as I have temporarily suspended my US phone number.

How should I proceed to ensure I only work with NY clients? I am concerned about unethical practice, can I ensure my profile is only visible for those located in NY?

Thanks!

I don't believe it's possible to restrict your profile to be seen by location. But you are still able to accept contracts and work for US clients from your location, provided, of course, you have a work permit for the UK. You will not be able to access jobs that the client marked US only from your location, so that could be the bigger problem, as a client looking for a US lawyer might put that restriction into his job post. 

Thank you for your reply! By work permit, I should be in the clear as I am
a British Citizen, right, or are you referring to a work permit
specifically for freelancing?

Understood on the issues that arise with client's restricting to the US, I
guess I will need to test the platform out and see if it works for me.

Thanks

Upwork does not make decisions about who is authorized to work in different places. Upwork simply asks that you follow local laws and guidelines. If you have questions about work eligibility, you may talk to local experts and authorities.

Upwork itself does not require "freelancing permits" or "work permits."

Narmeen, I'm a US paralegal.  My only suggestion is to make sure that your profile indicates your bar admissions clearly. 

Preston, you have shown previously a misunderstanding about legal restrictions and concepts.  Please, as a favor don't get into stuff you don't understand.

Mary, if I said something that was incorrect, please offer a correction.

Attorneys are licensed to practice in certain jurisdictions and certain courts.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths