🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Need Help Getting Started as a Freelancer
Page options
gerrit90
Community Member

Please, Review My Profile

Hey guys,

this is my first time posting here.
I am on UpWork for a few month now, and it starts to get a little bit momentum.
This week I will breach the 1000 Dollar total earnings. 

However, I am still pretty unsatisfied, how few of my proposals come back with an interview invitation.

Could you guys give me a short review of my profile?
What do you like?
What dont you like?
What would you change?

I would appreciate any Feedback!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,400 REPLIES 1,400
c_cantillas
Community Member

Hello guys, I'm new here, I have few days trying to find a job, but I don't know what happen. I don't know if I have a problem with my profile. Can anybody help me? Pleeeasee!!

Unless you are very lucky, a few days is not enough to get a job.

You must be very patient. Many people, myself included, have taken months to get only one answer, without this supposing that they have hired us.

Regarding your profile, it's not public, and we can not see it. You should make it public so someone can advise you.

Good luck.

Hi Claire,

You may want to start on building your reputation on Upwork. This can increase your chances of getting hired and sought by clients. 

Here's also a link to guide you on Upwork.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/td-p/264214/jump-to/first-un...

Untitled

Claire,

If you could set your profile to public, I am sure some of us could help you further.

Good evening everyone,

I am new on Upwork and have been trying to get started on this platform for the past month or so. I got four job offers (one of which was basically asking me to work for free, hence my decision to decline it), and no reply to any of my proposals. I sent 20-30 of them, writing personalized cover letters and trying to be as professional as possible. My main skills are translation, proofreading and editing.

I would be extremely grateful if any expert member could review my profile and tell me whether I could improve it in any way.

Thank you in advance for your help!

guipinheeiro
Community Member

I would really like a profile overview because I'm not receiving many replies from my job offers. Can someone experienced plz help me?

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~0172e58a4b65260b38

@Guilherme P wrote:

I would really like a profile overview because I'm not receiving many replies from my job offers. Can someone experienced plz help me?

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~0172e58a4b65260b38

Hello Guilherme,

Your profile looks good to me.You *might* consider lowering your hourly rate a bit, perhaps because you are new to this platform and you need to earn some Reviews on your Profile. I would not suggest you take those cheap jobs just a little bit decrease in your hourly rate would work. After getting 3-4 projects you can increase it. Another thing which I would like to highlight is that change your tag line to something catchy that covers everything that you do. 

With a good profile, the reason you aren't landing jobs is probably the quality of your job applications/cover letters. When applying, don't use generic cover letters. You should tailor each application to the client, and ensure that you address any requirements that they list. 

Hey Maryam, thank you for the fast reply. Since I'm an experienced animator I thoyght it woukd be ok to keep my rated medium-high so I dont leave the impression of cheap quality in my work.

Do you have any suggestions on what would be a good range of medium cost? Thanks again

Guilherme, I looked carefully at your profile.

Your photo is wrong. You need to replace it. The microphone is inexplicable. It has nothing to do with the work that you do. If I want to hire an animator, why would I hire a folk singer or a charismatic rebel leader?

The first part of your profile overview text completely wastes my time and needs to be removed. I don't think you realize that the first line of your overview text may be the only text that a client ever sees. It is prime real estate. It should not be used to repeat your name, title or location, which are already displayed in the list presented to clients,

You need to remove this:

"Hello Hello! My name's Guilherme (That’s Portuguese for William) and I invented the beards! Not really, but I’m a very elegant and creative Brazilian"

Thank you so much for your comments and feedback. I really appreciate it!

"And I invented the beards..."

I'm telling you guys, Profile pages need a Kudos button 😄

leanhminh
Community Member

Hi,

Can you please check my account, from this week i haven't recognized as rising talent any more, and also My Stats always 0-1, mean there is no employer interered to view my profile.

What can i do with this? Can you please any mistake i did with my profile? And how to mkae it impressive?

Thanks/Cuong

shek124
Community Member

Hello All,

I would like to request to review my profile and appreciate your valuable suggestions.

Im a part time freelancer working actively from last 3 months. I had a very bad December month where things happened that two cancelled jobs and My account got suspended for last 12 days.  

When I see the JSS , it is reduced from 86% to 63% now. Now I would like to start as fresh again in Upwork.

Please help me to improve my profile . Any valuable suggestions are welcome. 

Thanks for your great time.

Regards,

Sheik Mubarak S

Hi, sorry to say but your profile description looks like copy paste and your written all this for seo your profile. i will say be real and speak about yourself do not copy paste.

2. describe more about your Employment History .

3. add more portfolio with image

4. you are an ASP.net expert so i think your hourly rate should be more higher.

good luck
Mahmudul H - WordPress Designer and Developer

The way I see it, there's two type of people who might hire you. One is a company or individual who do the web stuff and know what all those acronyms mean. Maybe they need an additional member for a team, they need some additional skills or a specific skillset that they don't have etc etc.

The second is a company or individual who have little or no idea what those acronyms mean, but they have an idea for a website, a database or an app and need somebody to work their mystical IT magic to bring it to reality.

Your profile would probably appeal to the first type of buyer, but to the second type of buyer, it kind of reads like this...

"8 years experience in design and development of Web Application and Windows Applications using blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah and blah. I'm a Microsoft certified Professional in blah, blah, blah.

I'm skilled in :

- Blah

- Blah (2005,2008,2012) and Blah

- Blah

- BlahI

- Blah

- Dutch Football Team

- Blah

- Blah

- Blah

- Blah

- Blah

- Blah

- Blah

- Facebook Blah

- Blah

- Blah

I am looking for opportunities to develop or enhance Web/Windows applications. Also I am available for ongoing support and any quick fixes.

I'm not saying to lose the acronyms, you still need to appeal to the tech wizards and show what it is you do and what you know, but maybe make it a bit more beginner-friendly for people who can't code a few websites and hack into the Pentagon before breakfast. I mean... do you make websites? It doesn't say that you do. Do you just make apps? 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)

Sheik,

I am very critical of contractors who list a ton of skills that do not go together and which I know they don't really have expertise in. But in your case, this specific list of skills and technologies actually go together and I believe you do have experience with them.

I think it is valid to list these skills and technologies, but you only need to do so once. You do not need to list the same things in both paragraph and list form.

Also, as Scott points out, your current profile text may appeal to a very specific, technologically savvy client, but not to a more general type of client. If you want to appeal to that broader client base (which is something you may not want to do, but it would seem to,be the more profitable approach), it would be helpful to add a sentence or two which explains what you do in more laymen's terms.

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sheik,

To avoid having your account suspended and flagged for review, please remove your Skype ID from your overview and revise your name, title and overview. Your name shouldn't be written in capitalized letters, your overview should be written in full sentences, and not bullet points.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Hello All,

Thanks for the suggestions and i will update my profile soon accordingly. 

Now I have removed the Skype ID from my profile. Thanks Vladimir for mentioned this. Also i have requested to Support team for change my name in lower case. But it was not done due to some reasons. I will check it again.

Regards,

Sheik Mubarak S

Please review my profile. I compleate my 100% but whey not accteps my profile.

Terrible English in your profile. Top 10% English tests. Yeah, OK.

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

Nilima, article and blogwriting in which language? If Bengali is your native language, you can write articles in Bengali but not in English.

Nilima

Welcome to Upwork. Forgive Jennifer because most of the time she's brutally honest - but this time I have to disagree wih her. Your English is not terrible - it's atrocious.

Now, I'm a very liberal kind of person and this is, after all, a global community - so I have no problem with you having gender respecification issues. But I have to let you know that Upwork doesn't allow you to have two separate profiles - even if you can claim immunity from that on gender displacement grounds. So I suggest that you either carry on with your male identity, or remove your male profile, and concentrate on this one and fully accept your new being.

Whichever way you choose, I wish you good luck.

(except please don't go into medical writing...)

LMBO

Hello fellow freelancers,

I had experience using Upwork (back when it was called oDesk) as a hiring manager for a company I worked for, but it is the first time I am using it as a contractor.

I have two years of experience working full-time for a position I am applying to, which gives me some confidence that I will be able to find a new job here. This confidence, however, might be completely ungrounded, as while I may have quite some experience working the job, I have zero experience getting the job: I got the previous one by accident, practically. Out of 10 jobs I have applied for, I've yet to receive a single invitation to an interview, and I would like to use my remaining Connects wisely.

Could you please review my profile and give me tips so that I could better represent myself on Upwork as a Virtual Assistant?

Nickolai L.

(I already wrote this message here, but apparently it was deleted? Not sure what had happened.)

I am looking for a job as a Virtual Assistant. Could you please take a look at my profile and give me some tips so that I could better represent myself here on Upwork?

Nickolai L

I have used this site before (back when it was called oDesk), in the role of a hiring manager, when I worked at a as a Virtual Assistant at a previous company. This is, however, my first time using it as a freelancer.

Having worked in this position full-time for several years already gives me confidence that I will be able to find a job here on Upwork. This confidence, however, seems to be completely unfounded, now that I've spent 10 Connects (1/3 of my monthly allowance) and yet to receive a single interview invitation. Indeed, I've been working in this position, a lot, yet I never actually applied for it, being hired mostly by happy coincidence.

Actually, I'm not sure how many employers get to see my profile, as the first thing they get to see is cover letter. Here's mine:

I'm looking for a position of virtual assistant. Previously I have worked full-time as an Executive Assistant with a US-based nonprofit, doing, in particular, the following jobs:

• Collecting and organizing data, e.g. necessary information on relevant scientists and potential grantors.
• Editing website posts, formatting scientific papers for publishing, compiling infographics.
• Maintaining communication with applicants, volunteers, interviewees, journal editors etc.
• Researching software for organization's purposes and writing instructions for its usage.
• Compiling regular newsletters, their publication and mailing (Mailchimp)
• Fetching ebooks and research papers.
• Managing volunteers, hiring and managing freelancers.
• Converting, uploading, downloading and transcribing lecture videos.

I consider myself generally open and quick to learn to perform new tasks as needed. In particular, I had to do the following on a short notice (24 hours):

✓ Learn to use ImageMagick to compile animated infographics
✓ Learn to use ffmpeg to do bulk extraction of audio from video
✓ Hire a decent artist able to make quick illustrations

What am I doing wrong?

emma884
Community Member

Hi to all freelancers!

I would like to have some feedback on my profile because I think I could improve it but I don't know where to start. It is always eye-opening having someone else's opinion, this is why I am asking your help.

I can see from my stats that my profile is getting views (even if not many), but those views do not translate in an actual contact with a client.

I hope some of you will be able to give me some advice.

Thank you in advance.

Cristina

https://www.upwork.com/o/profiles/users/_~015fae3e0da5759614/

Hello everyone, this is my third time writing in this thread.

I am hoping that now someone will be able to review my profile, as I have applied to more than 20 jobs and have not

gotten an interview yet, so something must be wrong.

I have 100% completion, have taken relevant tests, filled my portfolio, etc, and have the rising talent badge.

But something is missing, given that I have had a single invite from a client, which I had to refuse because I was not available full time.

Thanks!

It is always eye-opening having someone else's opinion, this is why I am asking your help.

Personally, I find your profile exceptional. The writing is clear and paints a graphic image of your smooth career: started translation at the Uni, got better since - here's the qualifications. The raw force of your qualifications speaks for themselves, though. The most impressive for me, in your profile, from highest to lowest, were:

1. TOP RATED 100%
  2. 100% Job Success
  3. Impressive Work History (Upwork one)
  4. Talent Clouds
  5. Employment History
  6. Tests (though I don't show anything below 'Top 30%', unless it's 4.5+)

Maybe I'm just the mathematically inclined one, but to me your qualifications are the most impressive: the text is just there because you have to write something about yourself, really.

If the views of your profile do not translate in an actual contact, then I don't know what these client want. Lower price? Other language pair? (stumbled by accident, somehow)

Personally, I'm just starting out here on Upwork, and so far have no activity whatsoever, my 20 Connects notwithstanding. Could possibly take a look at my profile? I'm told that, as a humble Virtual Assistant, I have to compete against one million freelancers who are willing to work 20 hours a day for $2.

P.S. How do you verify your phone number?

Hi Nockolai,

Thank you for your feedback and for making me see my profile from your perspective!

I had a look at your profile, and it seems good to me. However, I will expand a bit the overview, talking a bit more about your skills and what you can offer a potential client.

I will also add some portfolio samples, I think they are a strong point in a profile that shouldn't be underestimated (in fact, I am going to review mine too, and make that section more attractive).

Regarding the phone number verification, I can't remember how I did it, because it was quite some time ago. But I think you need to go in your profile settings and add your phone number that it's than used to verify your identity.

Have a look here:
https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211067678-System-Level-Security-Measures

• Mobile Phone number – We highly recommend that you add a cell phone number to your account which can be used to complete ID verification and receive notifications.

I am sorry I can't be of more help regarding this.

All the best,

Cristina

inspire77
Community Member

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and I proposed for many jobs but still got nothing. I want you please to check my profile and tell me about anything wrong.

Thank you.

michelatance
Community Member

Dear everyone.

A month has already past since i started here in Upwork aannndd..... no hires yet

Profile enhacement is a rutine task for me and i´ve applied to a lot of "Entry" jobs which i certainly knew i was more than qualified.

Even my cover letters are made with enough effort.

Kindly, can anyone check my profile and give me any advice?

Thank you and best regards.

Stay away from the English Spanish translation jobs. They are crap that pay peanuts. Everybody seems to be a translator nowadays

Hi Michel,

I can recommend you the followings:

• Please make your Title more professional. You can drop the word "Freelance" and craft with productive (action) words along with your skills-set. Make it short but appealing.
  • Please rewrite the Overview- make some bullet points.
  • Pass some skill-related Upwork tests with good scores.

Thank you and good luck!

Shohel

Thanks Shohel.

kushmishra8
Community Member

Hi,

I have recently signed up and have been working a lot on bagging my first project on Upwork, which is not really working that well. I have a serious lack of experience in the area of both freelancing and the services I intend to offer on my profile.

Since I am not getting a lot of clients, I believe I must be doing something wrong and would really appreciate for you guys to check my profile and tell me if it is ready.

Here's the link:

Amartya Mishra (opens in new page)

Thanks a ton,

Amartya

@Amartya M wrote:

Hi,

I have recently signed up and have been working a lot on bagging my first project on Upwork, which is not really working that well. I have a serious lack of experience in the area of both freelancing and the services I intend to offer on my profile.

Since I am not getting a lot of clients, I believe I must be doing something wrong and would really appreciate for you guys to check my profile and tell me if it is ready.

Here's the link:

Amartya Mishra (opens in new page)

Thanks a ton,

Amartya

If you have a "serious lack of experience" in the services you intend to offer, then you will have a bad time on Upwork. You cannot expect a client to train you in a job, unless they say so, in which case, you are not likely to get paid very well. - this is why you are at college, to get more experience and knowhow.

On the other hand, saying how inexperienced you are in your profile, is not good either, because you are likely to attract every scammer going. I would suggest that you tweak your profile and make the most of your strengths, i.e. those skills that you think you can perform easily and to a client's satisfaction. Never apply for a job that you are not confident enough to tackle. You will only end up with a dissatisfied client and dissatisfied with yourself.

I also think you should concentrate on your studies. Try to get some local part-time work and wait for a bit longer before freelancing. It's not easy even for the very experienced.

Thank you for the quick and informative reply.

I will get right on tweaking my profile and working on experience first and applying for jobs second. Are you sure everything else is on point?

And thank you for your concern with my studies, I am doing well in college but really want to do more with freelancing.

Thanks Again

Hi,

I have been trying really hard to get the ball rolling for the past few weeks but believe I am doing something wrong as I haven't even been able to secure my first client yet. I lack any experience in my field which definitely is an issue, but I need jobs to gain it, which creates a catch 22 situation.

So help me out here folks.

Please check my profile out and let me know where I need to improve, all advice is welcome!

Here's my profile:

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~012c2419b6da1a7f56

Thanks,

Amartya

Hello Amartya,

I am a Top Rated Freelancer at Upwork.

The important thing is to set up a good profile - include all your works, education, work experience and a good profile description. Take tests relevant to your skills.

It is extremely difficult to land the first job on Upwork, so you will have to keep on sending proposals. Draft unique proposals for each job you are going to apply rather than copying and pasting templates. This is the one thing that clients hate and they can easily find it out.

Keep your proposals short. Write your proposal in such a way that you fully read and understood the job description and can complete it successfully. Show them that you are the most qualified person for this job.

The common mistake that new freelancers make are that they only for go for the big jobs ($100+) which they are not likely to get. For the first couple of jobs, dont go for the money. Do it for the rating even if the job is offering as low of $5. If you are able to secure 5-star ratings for the first couple of jobs, you are on your way to becoming a Top Rated Freelancer.

Good Luck!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths