🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Need to pay for registration
Page options
c_thackeray
Community Member

Need to pay for registration

Hi.

I am new to UpWork.

2 things have happened to me; first I was asked to contact the director of the company via Telegram. I couldn't do this as she is not one of my contacts. I mentioned this to the advertiser, who has yet to get back to me (suspicious)

Secondly, for another proposal, I was requested to communicate via email to company. This company now wants me to pay for registration (different amounts for different projects). Warning bells are going off here.  In my mind I am saying this is a scam (we have lots of these where I live, no doubt the rest of the world too) So I have responded via email to the company advising that I cannot afford the registration fee.

Subsequently, I have received 2 notifications, advising that both proposals have been declined (even more reason to suspect a scam)

I understand now that communicating outside the UpWork Platform is a "no-no". I would not have entered into a contract outside of this platform. 

Is there any way of warning others of these type of scams?

2 REPLIES 2
colettelewis
Community Member

This sort of scam has been endemic on Upwork and all the other online work platforms for months: It has almost become a rite of passage: An excellent post (and blog buried under a heap of others) was written by a top-rated freelancer, and does not seem to appear very frequently in the real estate on the right.  Here's the link: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

c_thackeray
Community Member

Thanks Nicola.

I will have a read 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths