Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Business - Questions

Highlighted
Andrew C Member Since: Nov 25, 2016
1 of 5

Hello,

So a friend recommended this site/service. I have registered but need some help sorting out what you folks can/cannot do so as to modify my service offering and documentation.

Basically, I will be offering a high end service that takes place over a 1 year period for a large set fee. I want my customers to use this service as a way to ensure I deliver my end of things at set intervals while knowing the customer has paid in full into the escrow account at the start. I get paid at each milestone. If I fail to do what is agreed to then they get the remainder of the money. If the customer does not do what is agreed to then the remainder of the balance is paid to me. Additionally, as an option, I would like to pay a 3rd party a percentage for introducing the customer once they pay and this would be handled by the escrow function as well if possible.

I need some help in what upwork can do to help me make this happen and needs on my end, the customer's end and potentially the 3rd party's end.

Is this even workable through this site and how can I speak with someone to help me make it happen?

Thanks so much.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 5

Hi Andrew,

You could use Upwork fixed-price model to handle payments between you and your client. The client can deposit money in Escrow and release it to you once the work is completed. They can release partial amount and have the rest refunded to them if needed. A couple of things for you to note:

- Freelancers are charged a a sliding Service Fee of 20%, 10% or 5% depending on their lifetime billings with the client and clients are charged a payment processing fee of 2.75%. You can find more information here.

- Keep in mind that inactive contracts with funds in Escrow are auto-closed after 90 days. So you and your client won't be able to keep the money in Escrow for a year without updating the contract with new milestones or releasing any payments.

You can read more about how fixed-price contracts work on Upwork here and I would also suggest you review resources for new freelancers listed here.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 5

re: "Is this even workable through this site?"

Probably not.

re: "How can I speak with someone to help me make it happen?"

You can communicate here in the Forum about this.
Or not at all.

You have already received direct and honest answers from a Forum Moderator who is able to speak authoritatively on behalf of Upwork.

You're welcome to use the functionality and tools provided by Upwork in a way that is compliant with their ToS. That will either work for you or it won't. Many freelancers and clients find that they can achieve great success here. But not every business model conceivable is workable through Upwork.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Claudia Z Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
4 of 5

@Andrew C wrote:

I need some help in what upwork can do to help me make this happen and needs on my end, the customer's end and potentially the 3rd party's end.

This isn't workable on Upwork if you want to proceed as a freelancer but you can post a job to find someone to develop a website that fits your business model.

You need a system that handles the deposit/credit, recurring payments from deposit, affiliate/referral program, client dashboard/progress updates.

Highlighted
Andrew C Member Since: Nov 25, 2016
5 of 5

Actully replying to everyone who has commented. Appreciate your thoughts.

The main thing I am looking for is the escrow service and milestone payments.

After reviewing the videos, not sure this works because the payment scheduling seems to be handled by the payee.

The site isn't robust enough. Nice concept though.

There is definately a need for large value transactions being managed to provide the customer assurance. I have not been able to find one that provides the flexibility to govern the whole process.