🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: New Freelancer- how does reporting income...
Page options
carly1022
Community Member

New Freelancer- how does reporting income work?

Hello, I am new to upwork and just looking to make some extra cash on the side as a freelancer. I have various serious illnesses that I am fighting right now, including Lupus, and I am struggling to afford things with the small amount I get from disability. If I'm only making small amounts on Upwork as a freelancer, do I need to fill out forms or report it? I don't want my work to affect my disability- I'm already struggling enough as it is :(.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
joanbonjoc
Community Member

Hi Carly,

If you're a freelancer whom the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) defines as a “U.S. Person” and earn money working with your client through Upwork, you need to report this income on your tax return.Please check this helpful article on Reporting Income from Upwork and some Exceptions. Let us know if may be of further assistance.

~ Jo-An

Untitled

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
joanbonjoc
Community Member

Hi Carly,

If you're a freelancer whom the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) defines as a “U.S. Person” and earn money working with your client through Upwork, you need to report this income on your tax return.Please check this helpful article on Reporting Income from Upwork and some Exceptions. Let us know if may be of further assistance.

~ Jo-An

Untitled

Thank you for your answer! I have done some research and asked around, and it looks like I understoo the system wrong. I can earn so much if I get SSDI and not get penalized, its only if I get SSI that I have to worry. I definitely don't want to do something illegal (I have a perfect record - I am just desperately struggling!) or something that would jeopordize my disability, so I am going to figure out which one I get and go from there. 🙂

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths