🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » New Freelancer to UpWork!
Page options
reedashn
Community Member

New Freelancer to UpWork!

My name is Ashley and I'm new to freelancing on UpWork. To start, I live in Michigan. I am currently a part time student in grad school. I have worked 40 hours per week for years, but have a toddler with a health condition, as well as school, so I've decided to quit the "nine to five" and put my skills and talents to use freelancing. Any advice and good vibes would be awesome! I'd love to network as well. I work great independently and in groups. I'm always wanting to learn new things and to share my knowledge as well. I'm still refining my profile and adding to it. That's probably my biggest struggle -- to sell myself, and I'm working on that. 

Again, I'd love to network and share ideas and strategies. And if you're new to UpWork, I'm wishing you good luck -- and feel free to reach out to me. 

Ashley 

5 REPLIES 5
virtualbrix
Community Member

Hey Ashley,

Samer from Michigan here (Birmingham), roughly 30 mins outside of Detroit. I see you are from Kalamazoo, close to the west side of the state. I have been in Michigan my whole life (bord and raised). I am a hude fan of that side of the state (Grand Rapids, Holland and Ludington and others, basically anywhere you have sand dunes, I am there!!!). Welcome to Upwork!

I have been a freelancer on the platform for 12 years, a long time, before it was even Upwork (ELance).

1. Make sure you have a complete profil

2. Read all the rules + watch videos + take the courses

3. Search for Jobs that fit your skill set and see what others are doing

4. Put together a good proposal(s) and start submitting to jobs (only those you feel comfortable with)

5. From there, you want to get a few clients, can be small jobs to start. do a great job!

6. Build a history and reviews.

Good Luck. From a fellow Michigander, feel free to ask anything here and Good Luck!

cd0fe078
Community Member

Hi Ashley, 

I am a fellow Michigander as well (although a little farther north than you in Traverse City) and am also new to Upwork. It looks like we are both in writing/editing. I'd suggest adding some writing clips/samples to your profile if you have any available. I just got my first job today, believe it or not (although I haven't sent out many proposals yet)! It's been pretty fun to figure out this UpWork thing so far. Best of luck to you! 

Cheers!

Kelsey

Hey Kelsey,

Welcome to Upwork. Go Blue, or Green, what ever you prefer : )

Oh! Another Michigander here, but from the REAL north, the UP lol

cd0fe078
Community Member

Thanks! I say, "Go Green!" 🙂 The UP definitely is the real north as far as I'm concerned! 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths