🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: New Freelancer
Page options
e726fe74
Community Member

New Freelancer

Hello,

I am new to Upwork and after my first three proposals, I received a message from a client. However, once I messaged him back, I did not hear anything else from him.

I have submitted six or seven additional proposals since then and nothing. It is frustrating because I have years of experience, lots to offer and enjoy working.

I would appreciate any suggestions, help, critique. Thank you.

PrincessK

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Katherine, it takes a while to get things underway here. I joined with 20 years of freelance experience and still took a month and about 30 proposals to land my first project, another month and 30 more to get the second, and 6-8 more months of steadily working the listings and applying to every project that looked like a really good fit for me, before I started getting real traction. 

A bit of unsolicited advice, do with it what you will... Rework your profile overview and make it less like a resume. Pull the paragraph about what solutions you offer for clients up to the top. UW is short attention span theater -- in a proposal/cover letter you only have a couple of lines to grab them so they'll click it open and see more. If they click over to your profile, you want the first thing they see to be what you can do for them. 

Good luck! 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
dd63c576
Community Member

Katherine H wrote:

Hello,

I am new to Upwork and after my first three proposals, I received a message from a client. However, once I messaged him back, I did not hear anything else from him.

I have submitted six or seven additional proposals since then and nothing. It is frustrating because I have years of experience, lots to offer and enjoy working.

I would appreciate any suggestions, help, critique. Thank you.

PrincessK

Although you are experienced but new here. So it will take time. Don't be dishearted as 7 proposals are much less. I got my first reply nearly at 40th one. 

Thank you so much Saddam for responding. I greatly appreciate it.

e726fe74
Community Member

Thank you for your response and the encouragement.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Katherine, it takes a while to get things underway here. I joined with 20 years of freelance experience and still took a month and about 30 proposals to land my first project, another month and 30 more to get the second, and 6-8 more months of steadily working the listings and applying to every project that looked like a really good fit for me, before I started getting real traction. 

A bit of unsolicited advice, do with it what you will... Rework your profile overview and make it less like a resume. Pull the paragraph about what solutions you offer for clients up to the top. UW is short attention span theater -- in a proposal/cover letter you only have a couple of lines to grab them so they'll click it open and see more. If they click over to your profile, you want the first thing they see to be what you can do for them. 

Good luck! 

Thank you so much Phyllis for responding. I greatly appreciate it. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths