🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: New Freelancer
Page options
a_toral_chinazzo
Community Member

New Freelancer

Hi everyone,

I'm Adri, newly upworker!

I don't use this platform frequently since I don't have connects to propose bid on projects.

Is there another way to work here, without being through connects? (I can't invest in them yet)

My question is ... should I close my account on this platform?

I read you!

Nice day to the community!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Adriana,

Submitting a proposal has a financial cost, just like the other expenses you incur as a freelancer running your own business. Freelancer Basic plan doesn't include free connects so you'll need to purchase them if you'd like to send proposals. If you aren’t able to use a credit card or prepaid card or you don’t have an Upwork balance, in many cases you’ll be able to use PayPal. To see the options available to you, click here.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Adriana,

Submitting a proposal has a financial cost, just like the other expenses you incur as a freelancer running your own business. Freelancer Basic plan doesn't include free connects so you'll need to purchase them if you'd like to send proposals. If you aren’t able to use a credit card or prepaid card or you don’t have an Upwork balance, in many cases you’ll be able to use PayPal. To see the options available to you, click here.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Oh ok!

Thanks for your answer. 

I supposed it was going to be that way, but was asking just in case there was another posibilty.

Have a nice day!

malezanovamarina
Community Member

Hello there,

I am a new member as well, and I would like to ask for some tips maybe on how to get clients. I have four proposals so far, but no responses and a few hours have gone by.
Can you let me know If I can somehow improve my profile?

Kind regards,
Marina

Hi Marina,

I am a new member as well and looking for advice from current upworkers. Did you advance with any job through the platform? Looking forward to connect with you and learn more.

Thanks,

Charles

Hi Marina,

I apologize for the delay in response. I reviewed your profile and you are off to a good start. I have a few suggestions for you:

• The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise.
  • Consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients. Help clients understand your abilities better by listing information about your skills and experience in an original and creative way. Focus on how you can help clients achieve their goals.
  • Your profile overview is difficult to quickly scan and understand what your primary services and experiences are. It might help to organize it with paragraphs: for example, have your introduction paragraph, a separate paragraph for skills, and one for experience. In this way you might emphasize certain areas, but use caution with adding lists of skills with few to no related work examples because clients may question the sincerity of your skills list.

Here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike

Hello there,

I am a new member as well. Could you tell me how I can get more connects to apply to more jobs on Upwork?

Thank you,

Raisa

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Raisa,

If you feel like you need more Connects to send more proposals, feel free to purchase more. This can vary based on your location, but all Upwork users will be able to purchase Connects with a credit card or prepaid card. If you aren't able to use a credit card or prepaid card or you don't have an Upwork balance, in many cases you'll be able to use PayPal. Check the options available to you and learn more about the acceptable billing methods for paying memberships.

Happy working! 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi,
Kindly assist to review my profile. I am submitting proposals for a month now but no even a single invitation.
Will appreciate your guidance.
With thanks

Hi,

I think data entry is a big field on Upwork and there are many freelancers who work it for much cheaper hourly rate than yours. Remember that no matter how much experience you have irl, you are new to Upwork and you still have to start from zero.
Of course, this is just my opinion. It doesn't have to be true.

Also, freelancing is sometimes slow. I didn't get an ongoing project for about 6-7 months. This was a little bit my fault, because I was inactive for a longer period of time, but still it takes time and patience.

Best of luck, I hope you get a job soon.

Marina M wrote:

Hello there,

I am a new member as well, and I would like to ask for some tips maybe on how to get clients. I have four proposals so far, but no responses and a few hours have gone by.
Can you let me know If I can somehow improve my profile?

Kind regards,
Marina

Hi Marina,  your profile is confusing. You say you're a VA then you're a technical writer. You need to pick which one you are and write your profile to sell that service. Right now your profile is very confusing and I can't really tell what you do. Your specialized profile for technical writing talks about VA work, which is not technical writing. I think you probably aren't getting proposals because you're presenting yourself in a confusing way. Successful freelancers understand exactly which field they are in and market themselves in a targeted fashion in that specific field or niche. 

Thank you for the tip!
I changed it into General VA only and I got many job offers. Thank you!

Hello there ,
I am a new freelancer a month old submitting proposals continuously but not receiving invitations,can someone check for me if my pry is confusing or what might be the reason
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths