🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: New Here. Are Jobs Posting 20-50+ Proposa...
Page options
rabbitholesound
Community Member

New Here. Are Jobs Posting 20-50+ Proposals Worth Submitting To?

Hey, everyone...

I joined Upwork last month, and while I know that it can take a while to land your first job, I'm needing some help on a few specific things:

I have only submitted 11 proposals so far (mostly because I was on vacation out of town for 2 weeks), and that's mainly because I'm getting scared off being new and seeing job postings that I think I would be awesome for, but which have lots of proposals already submitted. Is it still worth it to submit a proposal on these jobs, or not worth it, because I'm new and already outnumbered?

Also, I'm wanting to put together a portfolio on my profile, but because the podcasts I have engineered have been on a volunteer basis for our community radio station, I'm unsure if they qualify.

Lastly, I would love it if someone would have a look at my profile and see what else I can tweak on it in order to make more people click to see it. I feel like I've messed with it as much as I can, and now need a fresh pair of eyes to tell me what I'm missing.

Thanks so much! 🙂

Jen

5 REPLIES 5
yitwail
Community Member

Jen,

Your profile should definitely feature a portfolio, and it's perfectly acceptable if it consists of volunteer work. Clients just want to see a sample of your skills. As to submitting proposals, you're a Rising Talent, which gives you an edge over anyone who's not Top Rated or a Rising Talent, so I don't think you should let the number of proposals deter you, if a job is otherwise a good fit for you. Bear in mind also, that unless you sign up for a plus membership, the extra connects you get for being a Rising Talent will expire after a month, so use them or lose them. And good luck.

Hi, John...

Thanks so much for your advice, and I'm going to start work on my portfolio tomorrow!

🙂 Jen

Hi Jen. Three of the four items in my portfolio are based on voluntary work, though potential clients may not realise it. Now that I've been using Upwork for nearly a year, I really should add some of my Upwork jobs, but I haven't got around to it yet. 

Obviously it's not going to be easy to win a job with 20-50 other proposals. But, if you can show the client that you've already done something very similar, or if there's anything else that gives you an advantage, then go for it.

Question re: your portfolio--how do I do a "Project Overview" writeup for just simple voiceover work that I've done for the community radio station that I work at? Meaning, these were either underwriting spots, or station-specific 30-second promos for our pledge drives, I was handed a script and told to record it a few times so they could pick the one that they liked the best. There really isn't much to it, so I don't know how I would qualify that in a lengthy writeup. Advice?

matard_stephanie
Community Member

Thank you for asking this question Jen, because I think it is important.

I am new on the UPWORK platform as well. 

I don't want to use all connects on projects that might not get seen. 

I see you wrote this last year. Have you had any success so far? 

All the best, 

Stephanie 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths