cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Here & Have Major ? PPL Offering Jobs Claiming they pay UpWork

Highlighted
Dana B Member Since: Jul 3, 2017
1 of 11

Folks, I'm new to UpWork and trying to land my first contract. I've been contacted now by two different people for jobs I've applied for. They have offered interviews followed by jobs after chatting on hangouts. What I don't understand is they don't want to pay via UpWork. They usually ask for my financial institution which I answer that I don't have one. Then lastly I was just asked can I cash a money order. I am trying to land a first job but I'm also no dummy and don't want to fall for a scam. Can any of you all please advise? I've posted a link below to one of the sites that supposedly offered me a job. They also want references which I know is standard for other jobs, but I am new to this virtual work world and just am unsure of these practices. Please advise 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 11

Google Hangouts?

These are scammers.

There is no money to be made from them. Stop communicating with them immediately.

Highlighted
Community Guru
3 of 11

re: "Then lastly I was just asked can I cash a money order."

That would always be a scam.

And regardless of whether or not it is a scam (which it is), participating in this in any way is grounds for you having your Upwork account suspended or terminated.

Sometimes freelancers see their accounts suspended just because they were talking about this kind of thing with "clients." Even if they don't go through with it.

Highlighted
Dana B Member Since: Jul 3, 2017
4 of 11

How can I tell the difference when the message me? Just as soon as they message me and ask to go to google hangouts just do what? What should be my next step. I do not want my account locked up I'm just trying to learn a new job. 

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 11

Hi Dana,

Requesting to move payments outside of Upwork isn't only against Upwork ToS but often is a sign of scam. Please, flag the job when you get such request from the client. We've already taken actions against the most recent job you've been invited to as it was violating ToS.

Check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Anthony H Member Since: Feb 22, 2017
6 of 11

What in Job's all-vegan pool party is a Google Hangout?

I've been on Upwork for more than a year. I'm feeling left out. 

That said, I have never been asked to send money. I'm glad you didn't fall for that. However, the rules on clients (I almost said "people" -- ha! I should know better) asking you to avoid Upwork for pay is pretty clear. That's their bottom line you're talking about and Upwork clearly looks out for itself in that department.

Don't come between a mama bear and its cubs or between Upwork and its revenue. The outcome is about the same.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 11

@Anthony H wrote:

However, the rules on clients (I almost said "people" -- ha! I should know better) asking you to avoid Upwork for pay is pretty clear. That's their bottom line you're talking about and Upwork clearly looks out for itself in that department.

Don't come between a mama bear and its cubs or between Upwork and its revenue. The outcome is about the same.

No.

Those people avoid paying through Upwork because they are paying with FAKE CHECKS which Upwork does not accept.

They send a check to the freelancer to "buy computers and software" from their "approved supplier" - the newbie trots down to the bank and pays the check into their account. It appears to clear, and our hapless newbie trots off to the nearest Western Union outlet and pays the "supplier" (who is obviously the scammer himself) with (real) money.

A week or two later the check is found to be fake and our freelancer is out of on average $ 3000

Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 11

re: "How can I tell the difference when the message me?"

If somebody sends you an invitation from out of the blue, as soon as they mention "Google Hangouts," you can stop communicating with them because you know it is a scam.

You may immediately report them to customer service or flag the job as a scam.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
9 of 11

@Anthony H wrote:

What in Job's all-vegan pool party is a Google Hangout?

It's a site someone like this where 2 parties can communicate with each other once both of them create an account. Although communication off site is allowed, scammers use this particular site almost exclusively to take communication off site so they can scam unsuspecting freelancers. They ask for personal information, to pay a freelancer off site (which never happens) to ask for money from freelancers in order to send them laptops and other equipment. Upwork can't monitor communication that's offsite so it's a freelancer's responsibility to report these clients to Upwprk.

I've been on Upwork for more than a year. I'm feeling left out. 

Consider yourself lucky Scammers usually target new freelancers because new freelancers don't take the time to learn the procedures or what to look out for. They just jump right in, looking for a job but not knowing how to use this site.

That said, I have never been asked to send money. I'm glad you didn't fall for that. However, the rules on clients (I almost said "people" -- ha! I should know better) asking you to avoid Upwork for pay is pretty clear. That's their bottom line you're talking about and Upwork clearly looks out for itself in that department.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
10 of 11

Hi, Dana, welcome to Upwork! Some parts of it are kind of opaque at first, but I've found it well worthwhile.

I've only been invited to Google Hangouts once, by a scammer that approached me when I first joined. I didn't have a Google Hangouts identity set up, and went to the trouble to do it and connect with them once, before the penny dropped.

Now, I frequently exchange off-Upwork contact info with clients and sometimes with strong prospects when we need to have some back-and-forth before setting up a contract. The reason is that Upwork's platform has wobbly spells nearly every day. They typically don't last long but invariably occur at the most inopportune times. So it makes life a lot easier to have alternative ways to communicate and exchange docs. (email, tel, Skype, Dropbox) That said, I always make sure client and I are both clear that it's an Upwork transaction: no work until a contract is set up, and all payment via Upwork.

Some clients are clueless about the nuts and bolts. I've had a couple ask me if I preferred Paypal or what, and I had to explain to them how it Uw works. They weren't nefarious, just clueless.