🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » New Here
Page options
anonyuokachi
Community Member

New Here

I'm new here and don't have many credentials that I can share. How can I get work when everyone is looking for the 'top qualified' people and I'm only qualified in experience but not in credentials I can share?

Plus, someone on here-- a potential employer-- told me to contact him on Skype and then said he would need my full name, home address, and email address. Is this normal or permissible on UpWork? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lysis10
Community Member

Most people who contact you when you are new are scammers, so you have to bid a lot. You can't take communication off platform until there is a contract.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
lysis10
Community Member

Most people who contact you when you are new are scammers, so you have to bid a lot. You can't take communication off platform until there is a contract.

Okay, thanks for your help.

Okay, thanks Jennifer.

Edit: I see I mistakenly posted twice. Ignore.

You say in your profile overview, "I have also written and edited papers for family and friends which propelled them from regular English classes to AP English classes." Are you admitting to helping people cheat, or did I misunderstand this sentence?

I proofread and edited for them ('written' does sound a little off) and their teachers were made aware of the fact.

Kachi A wrote:

I proofread and edited for them ('written' does sound a little off) and their teachers were made aware of the fact.

You need to rethink your approach. Your profile sounds a bit juvenile. What experience have you gathered in the 20+ years after high-school? You need to have proof of your skills in your portfolio. Plus the pic could be more professional. 

Unless you do that, you are wasting your connects. Compare your profile to other people offering the same skills and you will see why they are hired. 

I will have to find a better pic. I don't have a portfolio right now. Writing, editing, etc., are things I do well but haven't pursued them career-wise. I went to one school for investigative journalism but didn't pursue that. I came here to put a skill that I have to use, but I guess without a portfolio you don't get very far. Thanks.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths