🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » New Kid on The Block
Page options
a64da746
Community Member

New Kid on The Block

Good morning, all! I'm DeZeta, a self-proclaimed conversation architect who has a passion for branding and logo design. This is my first rodeo... let's be honest. My first warm-up to the rodeo. I have yet to land a freelance writing/branding/design gig, and I'm not rushing it. I know I have a passion for it, and I believe that coupled with a malleable mind means more than a bachelor's degree could teach someone who is lacking in the enthusiasm quota. 

That being said, I am pretty intimidated bidding on these gigs. Any advice from possible mentors out there? How hard is it gonna be for me to get going in this biz? I'm willing to take low paying, I just want to get started. I appreciate each and every one of yall. Happy Tuesday!

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

(My jump off website, just went live last night and needs some work, but if anyone wants to leave constructive critiques, lay it on me. I have a thick skin)

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

DeZeta D wrote:

I have yet to land a freelance writing/branding/design gig, and I'm not rushing it. I know I have a passion for it, and I believe that coupled with a malleable mind means more than a bachelor's degree could teach someone who is lacking in the enthusiasm quota. 

I'll be honest with you. You have no portfolio, no related work experience or training, and a high hourly rate for a beginner. Passion and enthusiasm aren't going to be enough to convince clients to hire you; Upwork has enormous numbers of freelancers who are desperate to get a foot in the door and are willing to work for next to nothing. The logo category is particularly over-subscribed, since far too many people [falsely] think that logo design is an easy thing that anybody can do. I would advise you to at least create some mock-up pieces and writing samples before you bid on anything.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

DeZeta D wrote:

I have yet to land a freelance writing/branding/design gig, and I'm not rushing it. I know I have a passion for it, and I believe that coupled with a malleable mind means more than a bachelor's degree could teach someone who is lacking in the enthusiasm quota. 

I'll be honest with you. You have no portfolio, no related work experience or training, and a high hourly rate for a beginner. Passion and enthusiasm aren't going to be enough to convince clients to hire you; Upwork has enormous numbers of freelancers who are desperate to get a foot in the door and are willing to work for next to nothing. The logo category is particularly over-subscribed, since far too many people [falsely] think that logo design is an easy thing that anybody can do. I would advise you to at least create some mock-up pieces and writing samples before you bid on anything.

a64da746
Community Member

Thank you. I appreciate the feedback

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths