🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » New To Upwork
Page options
AndreaG

Tips for finding that first job

Hi all,

Welcome to the Upwork Community! We know landing that first contract can be challenging, so we built Upwork Academy and threads like this to help you get started. With a lot of resources and so little time, we wanted to put together some recommendations for you to check out first:

Do you have a specific question or maybe a tip to offer? Reply to this post and share your question, advice, or words of inspiration!

~Andrea
Upwork
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,774 REPLIES 1,774

RF, you need to start at the beginning. Read this post and follow every link. You are not prepared to freelance and will only be scammed. Learn and follow the Terms of Service and learn the Red Flags for Scams from Wes.

"I like pictures and logo design" is not appropriate in your profile and is a red flag to scammers that you don't know the rules. Protect yourself, because no one will do it for you.

How does work start for income

Hi,
I am a lead genratior and new to Upwork. I have been struggling to get my first project Catalog. I have submitted many proposals for different leads-based projects. How do I get my job?

I will try for a few months but I will not succeed.
I really need help.

Thank you!

Please suggest me how can i find a job. Please suggest me how can i find a job. 

ce17bf53
Community Member

Hello there, i am new to upwork and just made profile awhile ago as a data entry and translator. i got one job offer of document writing for 150 paper for five days. the payment is 2050$. But the bill payment method is not verified from the client. how can i know the client is trust worthy or not. but i accapted the job. please can i get more information about this?

Community Member

Hi, I see that people do not close contracts even for months and our connects are tied there. Is there a mechanism that due to inactivity in any contract, the connects of bidders gets freed.  

Hello thear i am a new and I am a student. And i come this platform find that work. So piz feedback me on my profile. How I can do my work dn

7257375f
Community Member

Good day! I'm Precy Jane Abbot 30yrs of age I'm from Philippines. This is my first time here in up work I hope you can help me to find a job that suits my qualifications. Thank you

7fec6ea6
Community Member

Plz tell me about this online writeing for earrings 

becefabb
Community Member

Attention Upwork Community!

Calling all newcomers to Upwork! Are you eager to kickstart your freelance career and secure winning job opportunities? Look no further! I'm here to share some valuable tactics that can help you succeed in this thriving marketplace.

Tip #1: Craft an Impressive Profile: Your profile is your online business card. Make it shine by showcasing your skills, experience, and accomplishments. Use a professional photo, write a compelling bio, and highlight your expertise. Don't forget to add a portfolio of your best work to grab clients' attention.

Tip #2: Polish Your Proposal: When submitting proposals, personalize each one to show your genuine interest and understanding of the project. Address the client by name, demonstrate your understanding of their requirements, and explain how you can add value. Make your proposal concise, compelling, and error-free.

Tip #3: Start with Smaller Projects: Building your reputation on Upwork takes time. Consider starting with smaller projects to gain experience, earn positive reviews, and establish credibility. Focus on delivering high-quality work and exceeding client expectations. Positive feedback will pave the way for bigger and better opportunities.

Tip #4: Be Proactive: Don't wait for job invitations to come to you. Take the initiative and search for relevant projects. Use Upwork's filters to narrow down your search and find projects that align with your skills and interests. Submit tailored proposals promptly and follow up with clients to showcase your commitment.

Tip #5: Cultivate Client Relationships: Communication is key! Once you land a job, maintain open and frequent communication with your clients. Clarify project details, ask questions, and provide progress updates. Be professional, responsive, and proactive in addressing any concerns or changes. Building strong client relationships can lead to repeat business and referrals.

Tip #6: Deliver Outstanding Results: Strive for excellence in every project you undertake. Deliver high-quality work on time or even before the deadline. Pay attention to detail, adhere to client guidelines, and incorporate feedback constructively. Your commitment to delivering exceptional results will set you apart from the competition.

Tip #7: Build a Strong Portfolio: Continuously update your portfolio with your best and most recent work. Showcase a variety of projects that demonstrate your skills and expertise. Consider offering discounted rates for a limited time to attract clients and gather more samples for your portfolio.

Remember, success on Upwork comes with perseverance, dedication, and continuous improvement. Embrace each opportunity as a chance to grow and learn. Engage with the vibrant Upwork community, seek guidance from experienced freelancers, and never stop honing your skills.

Best of luck to all the new Upwork members! Your journey to success starts now.

#UpworkCommunity #FreelancerTips #WinningJobTactics

b16b7187
Community Member

I 'm writer and markting please ,job

59d1b2e9
Community Member

How to make my benefit?to details me.

1.   www.upwork.com 
  2. Nripendra S
  3. I'm community member 
  4. No rate filter 
  5. No get paid 
  6. I've posted guest mood
  7. To solve these problems
  8. By community member
  9. No thanks 
  10. Nripendra S
Nripendrasarkar
6de9bc96
Community Member

How to search new tasks?

It is here https://www.upwork.com/nx/find-work/

Also use search with keywords.

Welcome Tony, Good Question, You can search from find work. The link is as follows.

https://www.upwork.com/nx/find-work/best-matches

Regards.

66c06e93
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the freelancing world and have recently started offering services as an Amazon virtual assistant. As a beginner, I'm currently facing the challenge of acquiring my first client and building a portfolio to demonstrate my skills.

After putting in a lot of effort, I was excited to land my first client, even though the pay was low. I provided high-quality work and received a full 5-star review, which was truly motivating.

Now, I find myself in a similar situation, actively seeking another client but lacking an extensive portfolio to showcase my abilities.

I'm interested to hear from experienced freelancers who have successfully attracted clients when starting out. How did you overcome this challenge and demonstrate your skills effectively?

Any insights, tips, or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your support!

Best regards,
Afaq Zaim

01ec471c
Community Member

How to get first order in my projects?

To get your first order in your projects on Upwork, there are several strategies you can implement to increase your chances of success. Here are some tips to help you get started:

Create an impressive profile: Your profile is your first impression on Upwork, so make sure it stands out. Highlight your skills, experience, and expertise relevant to the projects you want to work on. Use a professional photo and write a compelling and concise overview that showcases your unique value proposition.

Start with a strong portfolio: Even if you're just starting out, it's crucial to have a portfolio that showcases your abilities. Consider creating sample projects or offering your services at a discounted rate to a few clients outside of Upwork to build up your portfolio. This will provide potential clients with a glimpse of your skills and what they can expect from you.

Optimize your job proposals: When submitting proposals for projects, take the time to read the job description thoroughly and tailor your proposal accordingly. Demonstrate your understanding of the project requirements, showcase relevant work samples, and explain how your skills and expertise make you the ideal candidate for the job. Personalize each proposal to show your genuine interest in the project.

Be proactive: Don't wait for clients to come to you. Actively search for projects that align with your skills and expertise and submit proposals regularly. Utilize Upwork's search filters to narrow down projects that are a good fit for you. Additionally, consider participating in relevant Upwork community forums or groups to network and connect with potential clients.

Offer competitive pricing: When you're starting out, it's important to be competitive with your pricing while still valuing your time and expertise. Consider offering introductory rates or providing additional value to attract clients. As you gain more experience and positive feedback, you can gradually increase your rates.

Provide exceptional customer service: Once you land your first project, go above and beyond to exceed your client's expectations. Deliver high-quality work on time, communicate promptly and professionally, and be proactive in addressing any concerns or questions. Satisfied clients are more likely to provide positive feedback and recommend you to others.

Request feedback and testimonials: After successfully completing a project, kindly ask your client for feedback and testimonials. Positive reviews and testimonials can significantly enhance your profile and increase your credibility, making it easier to attract more clients in the future.

Remember, building a successful freelance career takes time and persistence. Be patient, stay proactive, and continuously improve your skills. Over time, you'll gain more experience, positive feedback, and a solid reputation, leading to increased opportunities for success on Upwork.

how to start a freelancer?

Hi, i am kashif from pakistan.Remember, building a successful freelance
career takes time and effort. Stay committed, continuously improve your
skills, and adapt to the changing demands of the market.

Sometimes it's painful but its also sweet
65cda575
Community Member

Hi Guys Do you have any adivise. I am not getting any client. Niether anybody see my proposal I sent for Job.

5a91ca5d
Community Member

I am a professional graphic designer but I am not getting any orders. How to get the order?

sabir22
Community Member

Congratulations on starting your freelancing journey on Upwork! It's an excellent platform for connecting with clients and showcasing your skills. To help you get started, here are a few tips:

1. Complete your profile: Ensure that your profile is complete, including a professional profile picture, a compelling headline, and a well-written overview highlighting your skills, experience, and expertise. Consider adding relevant portfolio items or links to previous work.

2. Define your niche: Determine your area of expertise or niche to make it easier for clients to find you. Focusing on a specific niche allows you to position yourself as an expert in that field and attract clients looking for specialized skills.

3. Build a strong portfolio: If you don't have previous freelance work to showcase, create some sample projects to demonstrate your abilities. These samples should be relevant to your desired field and highlight your skills effectively.

4. Set competitive rates: As a new freelancer, it can be challenging to set your rates. Research what other freelancers with similar skills and experience are charging on Upwork to get a general idea. You may initially need to be flexible with your rates to build your reputation and gain client reviews.

5. Start with smaller projects: To establish your credibility and gain positive reviews, consider starting with smaller projects or offering a discounted rate for your initial clients. This will help you build your reputation and attract more significant opportunities in the future.

6. Submit tailored proposals: When applying for jobs, take the time to read the project description thoroughly and submit a customized proposal highlighting how your skills and experience align with the client's needs. Personalize each proposal to stand out from the competition.

7. Communicate effectively: Once you've secured a project, maintain clear and prompt communication with your clients. Understand their requirements, ask relevant questions, and keep them updated on your progress. Good communication builds trust and ensures client satisfaction.

8. Deliver high-quality work: Consistently delivering exceptional work is crucial for establishing a solid reputation on Upwork. Meet deadlines, pay attention to detail, and go the extra mile to exceed client expectations. Satisfied clients are more likely to leave positive reviews and recommend you to others.

9. Seek client feedback: After completing a project, kindly ask your clients for feedback and reviews. Positive reviews will boost your profile's credibility and make it easier to attract more clients in the future.

10. Be patient and persistent: Building a successful freelance career takes time and effort. Be patient, persevere through challenges, and continuously improve your skills. With dedication, professionalism, and a commitment to delivering value, you can achieve freelance success on Upwork.

Remember, success on Upwork comes with time and experience. Continuously work on enhancing your skills, seeking new opportunities, and providing exceptional service to your clients. Best of luck on your freelancing journey!

bcd0ee83
Community Member

Hello myself Jayant kumar & new in upwork community.. so please guide me ... How to start this work ... 

samuelwaweru70
Community Member

Hi community members,

How can I increase views on my profile?

I am a graphic designer and video editor with 5 years of experience.

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01fbede0d885e2bb6c

768acc78
Community Member

Hello my name is promise,I'm new here and this is my first work from home job,I don't have a lot of experience relating to the Upwork community but I'll love if someone can put me through and help me get started on the necessary steps

8a976c94
Community Member

How do I get started?

a0929b3f
Community Member

I'm new to upwork marketplace, I'm a student, I have a lot of work experience, but I can't get any job without any portfolio, what should I do now?

ilovecharmaine
Community Member

Good Day!

My name is Charmaine and I'm a newbie here on upwork. I am currently seeking for a job here for beginners since I only have a few experiences. Any tips for finding the first job? Thank you in advance. 

19c42e0c
Community Member

Hi,

I am Saliha Asif  from Pakistan,Punjab. I am an educational content writer. I can write above 500 words on a single topic with zero plagiarism and without any copy-paste work. My contents are unique and 100% accurate based on research policy. I am a hard-working talented freelancer. Moreover, I  am a translator who can translate passages from English to Urdu and Urdu to English.  

But I did not get any work yet. So, would you like to help me to start p my career.

I will be thankful to you.

Thank you.

88b6b90b
Community Member

Hi, I'm very new in this online community so for this I would like to know some tips how to make this work. I am currently working as registered nurse and beautician in United Kingdom. I like my jobs but I want to develop my skills every day to know aspects of this online business and why not how to make more money. I speak well and right English and Romanian, I love to travel, to promote and try new products, reviews of products. All this being said I'm looking for new opportunities.. thank you for your support 

655be748
Community Member

How I can get my first client?

After some talk there is no response from Clint? 

5a4ddb99
Community Member

I am ok at typing. I am looking for simple typing ,form filing ,copy paste jobs. Pleasehelp me

16435efa
Community Member

My name is faith I am be to Upwork 

8d03bdb4
Community Member

f93ac86d
Community Member

I can not find a job, please help'

8d1d4388
Community Member

Iam Beth a freelancer looking for a job

b5cb98ea
Community Member

I mad account on upwork befor 6 moths i was bidding on so many contracts but i failed to acheve any contract. Even once a client came and message me but I was unable to understand terms and conditionsand I loss the client.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths