cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New To Upwork

Jackie M Member Since: Dec 13, 2016
1 of 6

I'm new to Upwork and i'm curious about a job posting i responded to .. They wanted me to contact them outside of Upwork ... They don't show that i have been hired for the position yet on Upwork ... They have been talking to me thru Google Hangouts ...

I'm kinda concerned and wondering if this is something i should just not deal with or if it is in fact legit ... The person wanted me to purchase Thermal sleeping Bags for the homeless 100 of them ... They would send me the money and i would be required to ship them to everyone .. They asked me to send them my ID which i did but i blocked out all my personal information ..

Then they had asked me to purchase an Itunes gift card for $75 .. I told them i didn't have $75 i only have $15 they then wanted me to go to Walmart to purchase an itunes card for that amount .. I told them i wouldn't do that b/c i have kids to feed .. I just feel like this is a bad apple ..

Then they wanted to deposit money in my acct.  When i said i didn't know how that would work they said they only option that was left was to let them write me a check .. I am very leery of this b/c i have heard bad things about that .. Maybe i'm just over paranoid but if anyone could give me some insight as to what they think i would greatly appreciate it ..

Thanks

Jackie Murray

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 6

Hi Jackie,

It's a serious violation of Upwork ToS to request or offer payments outside of the platform whatever the purpose of those payments are. Please, flag such jobs and stop communicating with these clients.

For more information on how to recognize suspicious jobs, check out this post.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Jackie M Member Since: Dec 13, 2016
3 of 6

Thank you so much i appreciate it ..

Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
4 of 6

This is a complete and utter scam.  You should discontinue any correspondence with these people.

Before you move forward on Upwork, you should take the time to read all the linked information in the thread below. I realize it is a lot of information but, if you are not fully familiar with how Upwork operates, you will likely continue to be scammed:

Read all the things

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 6

Wow.

Jackie...

Let me echo Christy's advice.... and expand upon it a bit.

You really need to do some extensive reading here on Upwork. You need to come to the Community Forum and use the seach box to read about "scams" and "scammers." And you need to just randomly read some other threads.

Everything you described in your original post involves such blindingly obvious scams that it is clear you're not ready to actually begin working on Upwork.

Do some reading.

Then, before you actually do any work for everybody, come here to the Forum to check with us to make sure you're not still getting scammed.

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
6 of 6

Smiley Indifferent

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS