🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: New Upwork Freelancer
Page options
abdullahmn
Community Member

New Upwork Freelancer

Hi, I'm a skilled and experienced Graphic Designer. For the past 5 years, I've worked with a myriad of clients around the globe.

I've been on Upwork for the past month and have gotten 1 response but no gig. I've taken a look at other portfolios and feel that mine is strong and competitive, actually, I can't believe some of the people making the money they make doing the work they have done, but more power to them.

If somebody could give me some insight that would be great, and please feel free to speak freely.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wlyonsatl
Community Member

I've been on Upwork and its predecessors for a few years and can't imagine what it's like to start out as a new Upwork freelancer now, considering all the competition. I can imagine that your graphic design specialty is particularly competitive.

Do you think your cover letter to potential clients is compelling? (It's OK to have a thorough template that you customize for each job you apply to.)

Do you have a variety of your best work attached to your Upwork profile, and do you include as attachments to each job proposal a few examples that directly apply (as best as possible) to each of the Upwork jobs you apply for? (Make it as easy as possible for potential clients to see some of your best work.)

Where does your hourly pay rate fit in with the other freelancers who respond to jobs you apply for? And have you considered lowering your rate temporarily to increase your chances of getting your first few projects, which you can give you some feedback and a record of successful projects? (Some clients have limited budgets – or they’re just cheap – but that doesn’t mean you should ignore them while you’re new to Upwork. Your potential future clients will pay a lot of attention to what other clients say about their experience working with you, so it should be a priority for you to get your first few successful projects successfully completed.)

Where does your hourly pay rate fit in with the other freelancers who respond to jobs you apply for? (And have you considered lowering your rate temporarily to increase your chances of getting your first few projects, which you can give you some feedback and a record of successful projects?)

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
wlyonsatl
Community Member

I've been on Upwork and its predecessors for a few years and can't imagine what it's like to start out as a new Upwork freelancer now, considering all the competition. I can imagine that your graphic design specialty is particularly competitive.

Do you think your cover letter to potential clients is compelling? (It's OK to have a thorough template that you customize for each job you apply to.)

Do you have a variety of your best work attached to your Upwork profile, and do you include as attachments to each job proposal a few examples that directly apply (as best as possible) to each of the Upwork jobs you apply for? (Make it as easy as possible for potential clients to see some of your best work.)

Where does your hourly pay rate fit in with the other freelancers who respond to jobs you apply for? And have you considered lowering your rate temporarily to increase your chances of getting your first few projects, which you can give you some feedback and a record of successful projects? (Some clients have limited budgets – or they’re just cheap – but that doesn’t mean you should ignore them while you’re new to Upwork. Your potential future clients will pay a lot of attention to what other clients say about their experience working with you, so it should be a priority for you to get your first few successful projects successfully completed.)

Where does your hourly pay rate fit in with the other freelancers who respond to jobs you apply for? (And have you considered lowering your rate temporarily to increase your chances of getting your first few projects, which you can give you some feedback and a record of successful projects?)

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths