🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » New account, 25 proposal in days, no Response
Page options
nayeee1m
Community Member

New account, 25 proposal in days, no Response

Hello, 

I am in upwork for more than  last 6 months. I have submitted many many proposal  for wrting , specially scienctific writing. I have attached sample in portfolio. Still, I didn't get any single job out of many many proposal. Everybody looks for 90% success rate. If I dont any get, I can get 90% success rate? How can I get first job and get more attention to my proposal? Anyboday has any idea for new upwork content writer?

Thanks, 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

@Md Rejaul H wrote:

Hello, 

I am in upwork for more than  last 6 months. I have submitted many many proposal  for wrting , specially scienctific writing. I have attached sample in portfolio. Still, I didn't get any single job out of many many proposal. Everybody looks for 90% success rate.

With all due respect, your English is nowhere near "native / bilingual" and most clients who look for a US based freelancer look for one who speaks English fluently.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
petra_r
Community Member

@Md Rejaul H wrote:

Hello, 

I am in upwork for more than  last 6 months. I have submitted many many proposal  for wrting , specially scienctific writing. I have attached sample in portfolio. Still, I didn't get any single job out of many many proposal. Everybody looks for 90% success rate.

With all due respect, your English is nowhere near "native / bilingual" and most clients who look for a US based freelancer look for one who speaks English fluently.

nayeee1m
Community Member

Thanks for your comment. I may have  typo in last post, But, when I write for proposal, Off course I write more carefully. 

I am  in USA. I  have taken IELTS, GRE test, teaching undergrade students and publishing article for last 5 years. How can I consider my weak in English ? 

I see some people from china, Bangladesh( My home country), India, Philipines with more weak writing power doing good job in UPWORK. 

If my  stduents in USA can understand my language when teach science, I think I am enough fluent in english. 

If you have any tip rather english fluency  to get attention from client, please let me know. 

Thanks again   

hodgesh
Community Member

You are wasting your time. Your English is not good enough for science writing in English.

Those other non-native English speaking writers you noticed may be providing cheap SEO articles on simple topics for clients who can barely speak English themselves, but they are not successful science writers.

Teaching/speaking is not the same as writing. You may be a good teacher, but you are not a good writer. Please stop offering services you cannot deliver. Good clients will not hire you, and bad clients will cheat you and give you low ratings. You will only drag down the quality and reputation of Upwork.

I would like to know what the moderators think of freelancers who show up in the forum blatantly unqualified to provide the services they signed up to provide. These are the people Upwork should be focused on removing before if not instead of wasting time randomly picking people for video verification.

nayeee1m
Community Member

It is clear that experienced writers in upwork never want new writer to grow up.

Any way, thanks for clarifying your position

You are in denial if you think your English is up to par. Every single post you have made has some type of grammatical error. It has nothing to do with other writers not welcoming new writers. Your English skills/writing are not up to the standards required for good scientific writing. Maybe you should offer services tutoring and/or consulting in your field. 

If I could offer a thousand kudos to Heaven's exceptionally well-thought-out and articulate post, I would do so. He is right on the money.

To the OP: You are kidding yourself. Your English is not even "fluent." It is understandable, but closer to "conversational" than truly fluent. That doesn't mean you are stupid; it doesn't mean you are a bad guy. It just means that you aren't qualified to write scientific articles in English. (In fact, I make a decent amount of money copyediting and proofreading medical articles for a group of Chinese physicians who write English better than you do, but who require that their prose be polished before it can be accepted into English-language journals.)

This, from your second post: "I may have  typo in last post..."  Ummm, no. Not "typo." In your first post alone (I haven't bothered to review your later posts in this fashion) there is literally not a single sentence that is error-free. And I am not talking about minor errors.

Your posts are written in what we call "pidgin English," and are replete with misspellings, terrible grammar, incomplete sentences, run-on sentences, poor command of idiom, and inaccurate punctuation and capitalization.

But, if you like, just keep telling yourself that we're all a bunch of meanies who are terrified that if we give you hints about how to succeed, you will steal all of our glorious jobs.  Yeah... That's it.

with due respect, if you write "I will able to assist" in your profile headline and description here on upwork, you actually do not write carefully....

kat303
Community Member

@Md Rejaul H wrote:

Hello, 

I am in upwork for more than  last 6 months. I have submitted many many proposal  for wrting , specially scienctific writing. I have attached sample in portfolio. Still, I didn't get any single job out of many many proposal. Everybody looks for 90% success rate. If I dont any get, I can get 90% success rate? How can I get first job and get more attention to my proposal? Anyboday has any idea for new upwork content writer?

Thanks, 

I've been on Upwork for more than 6 months. I've submitted many proposals for scientific writing jobs. I've attached samples in my portfolio but I still haven't gotten any jobs for the amount of proposals I've submitted. Clients look for 90% success rate but if I can't get any jobs how can I get a 90% success rate? How can I get that first job? How can I get the attention of clients? Does anyone have any ideas or advice for a new scientific content writer?

I'm not a writer, and I'm sure that the proofreaders and other writers on here can find mistakes in what I've written. But I rewrote your post to show you how "off" your writting is. It's not just a few typos, it's a lot more.

As stated, you may be a great teacher, but to make money and possibly a career out of writing, even scientific writing is not in your future. You can definitely stay on this site, and keep submitting, but 2 things will happen. Upwork will eventually suspend your account for submitting too many proposals and not getting any jobs, OR, you will finally get a job, from a very cheap client who will pay you the minimum amount that is allowed on this site and those kind of clients are HELL to work for. They will ask for endless revisions, never be satisfied, and probably ask for a refund after you've completed the work. 

a_kuntsi
Community Member

I really try to say this without insulting OP, but...

Can anyone put English (or whatever language for that matter) as "native/bilingual"?

Obviously can.

I am a native Finnish speaker, fluent English. Fluent English is verified by Upwork with that small blue mark.  But "native/bilingual" is not checked or verified anyhow.

And as non-native I can tell right away, that OP is not a native speaker. Not even fluent.

Of course, clients can see that by reading his profile, but the actual question is if it is kind of a fraud to say you are a native English speaker when you are not?

And as friendly advice:

As you have degrees and been teaching, maybe you could offer some other services based on your skills and expertise instead of writing?

martina_plaschka
Community Member

@Md Rejaul H wrote:

Hello, 

Thanks, 

Are you in the US on a student visa or work visa? If it's a student visa, count your blessings that you have not earned any money here yet.... 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths