🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: New accounts.
Page options
m_terrazas
Community Member

New accounts.

I'm really surprised.
How is it possible that so many profiles are being approved, which are either not because there is no information or they are clearly false (both in data and in portfolio)?

I only remember when I made my account and it cost me a lot of revisions to be accepted. And now there are some that are accepted automatically.

Is not Upwork trying to get rid of all this?
Well, I should start cutting it from the beginning, when creating the profile.

I would like to know who is cheating all these people who ask "stupid" questions in the forum, which only serves to make themselves more evident 😞

13 REPLIES 13
VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Maria,

Please note that users can post in the Community forums before submitting their profile for review and don't need to have their profiles approved beforehand. I understand your concern prompted by the recent activity in the forums and can assure you we are continuing to monitor and ensure our profile review process is working as expected.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Thanks for the info Vladimir.

When VLAD DADDY is in town, the spamistan accounts never see the light of day.

LOL

He is SuperVlad!
Good for him.

Vladimir G wrote:

Please note that users can post in the Community forums before submitting their profile for review and don't need to have their profiles approved beforehand. I understand your concern prompted by the recent activity in the forums and can assure you we are continuing to monitor and ensure our profile review process is working as expected.

Most (almost all) of those profiles are approved, some are many years old, none have ever earned any money. They likely just lay dormant for years, then the "zombie-profile apocalypse happened"  😉

Petra R wrote:

Most (almost all) of those profiles are approved, some are many years old, none have ever earned any money. They likely just lay dormant for years, then the "zombie-profile apocalypse happened"  😉

Yes, I have seen some with 3 and 4 years.
All have suddenly revived!
It's a miracle!!

lysis10
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Vladimir G wrote:

That's what keeps me entertained by all this drama. Always the same country, but years and YEARS of inactivity and suddenly they spam the forum with a copy/paste question. I get the auto accepted spam accounts and what they are doing, but it almost seems like there's some rumor that spamming the forum will earn you money lol. 

The ones that want to suddenly change their country to China might be a clue.

Jennifer M wrote:

I get the auto accepted spam accounts and what they are doing...

What ARE they doing? I don't get it.

Christine A wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

I get the auto accepted spam accounts and what they are doing...

What ARE they doing? I don't get it.

Me neither. What do you mean, Jennifer?

Most of the questions are about creating multiple accounts or adding multiple users to one account; there have also been lots of questions about switching accounts from client to freelancer and vice versa, and also about whether you can hire your friends or create a "team". So maybe this is some kind of a crazy pyramid scheme; when you buy a dormant Upwork account, somebody promises that you'll be able to sell access to other people and/or get other people work for you. Upwork could hire somebody who speaks Urdu to do an online search and figure it out.

Even more miraculous @Maria, is that several fake and fraudulent profiles that have been repeatedly flagged with proof of fraudulent activity get suspended and then reactivated. People who falsify names, accounts, photos, education, portfolios - you mention it - they are back on Upwork. 

You're right, Nichola.
A recent example, how is it possible that a person who has falsified 2 TIMES his portfolio is still active?
If you lie in something like that, what can you expect?

I still think that Upwork depends too much on freelancers to see the infractions.

And regarding those "miraculously" resurrected accounts, I'm afraid that what I think is the worst.
Trading?

So I haven't seen any more of these posts for the past couple of days; is it all over? If so, well done to Upwork for getting rid of all the spam. But did anybody ever figure out what was going on? (You can PM me if you'd rather not say anything here.)

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths