🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: New and unsure if this is right....
Page options
tammymckinney
Community Member

New and unsure if this is right....

I am new to Upwork and recently landed my first job on the platform. I was thrilled when someone offered me a gig that I don't think I even applied for. He offered me a rate per article that we agreed upon and basically told me to write whatever I wanted once he described the kind of site he was building. I wrote the article and submitted it, but heard nothing back for about a week. When I did, he stated that he didn't care for the topic (though I told him what I was going to write about before I wrote it and he did not object). I wrote a new article. When I submitted it, he said he loved it and it was just what he wanted! He even stated that he would be buying the first article from me at some point. A week later he came back and asked that I add something specific to the end of my article that would link to a product he offers, which I did. He then let the escrow money sit in there for another week or so. It now is in my "earned" column, though I don't know how to get paid yet. Anyway, he went on to ask me to write two more articles but escrowed less than the agreed upon amount. However, since they were to be very short, I agreed. Then, he came back and asked me to to a total re-write of the first article in a different format, with a different focus, etc. Essentially a totally new article. I'm totally confused because he says he is happy when I submit something, then he comes back with new ideas. Now he wants more but again is being totally vague about what he wants. I'm starting to feel like all this time isn't worth the money we agreed upon. And he wants the "re-write" without paying more...

Is there a way to change this to an hourly gig? Is this the norm? I am totally ok with some criticism and making changes, but this particular person is totally all over the place and I just cannot spend every day re-writing articles because he changed his mind (and not because they weren't what he asked for) for the same pay. 

Can an experienced freelancer give me some feedback or advice?

4 REPLIES 4
pudingstudio
Community Member

Tammy M wrote:

I am new to Upwork and recently landed my first job on the platform. I was thrilled when someone offered me a gig that I don't think I even applied for. He offered me a rate per article that we agreed upon and basically told me to write whatever I wanted once he described the kind of site he was building. I wrote the article and submitted it, but heard nothing back for about a week. When I did, he stated that he didn't care for the topic (though I told him what I was going to write about before I wrote it and he did not object). I wrote a new article. When I submitted it, he said he loved it and it was just what he wanted! He even stated that he would be buying the first article from me at some point. A week later he came back and asked that I add something specific to the end of my article that would link to a product he offers, which I did. He then let the escrow money sit in there for another week or so. It now is in my "earned" column, though I don't know how to get paid yet. Anyway, he went on to ask me to write two more articles but escrowed less than the agreed upon amount. However, since they were to be very short, I agreed. Then, he came back and asked me to to a total re-write of the first article in a different format, with a different focus, etc. Essentially a totally new article. I'm totally confused because he says he is happy when I submit something, then he comes back with new ideas. Now he wants more but again is being totally vague about what he wants. I'm starting to feel like all this time isn't worth the money we agreed upon. And he wants the "re-write" without paying more...

Is there a way to change this to an hourly gig? Is this the norm? I am totally ok with some criticism and making changes, but this particular person is totally all over the place and I just cannot spend every day re-writing articles because he changed his mind (and not because they weren't what he asked for) for the same pay. 

Can an experienced freelancer give me some feedback or advice?

Some clients are like that (exploitative).
Some people, in general, are like that (exploitative).

You know your value, there is no need to accommodate cetain client without being adequately payed for your time/work.

In a polite and professional manner explain your client that.
If possible, find a solution with them (either by new, hourly, contract or by funding new milestones named 'revisions').
If that doesn't work for them, be happy that you learned something and you don't have to bother with such client anymore.

Some clients may actually be good people, but they have absolutely no understanding of the fixed-price contract model.

Often there is no way for these clients to learn or be "rehabilitated."

But it is possible to work successfully with these clients using an hourly contract.

Sometimes you just need to tell the client:

"Joshua:
I really appreciate the opportunity to work on this project. Unfortunately, we are getting into things that are outside the scope of the original contract. I will be very happy to work on this next part. I think it is a good idea. If you will close the current contract, then I will be available to continue the work using an hourly contract."

lysis10
Community Member

lol three articles for the low price of one. Well played, Mr Client.

Tammy,

Follow Preston's advice and get rid of this client. This  job is not going to improve. Sadly, you do not seem to have read the link given to you by a freelancer in your previous posts, or if you did, you did not take the advice on board.

The best you can do now is a bit of damage limitation and get out from under. You may get bad feedback from this client. If you do, respond very briefly and very professionally. Although at this stage, you won't be able to do anything about bad feedback, you can report the client for unreasonable behavior. Upwork does take note of this kind of client, even if there is no immediate response.  

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths